Before we eat : from farm to table by Pat…

Before we eat : from farm to table

by Pat Brisson

seeing the process of food from begin to end and the people who are involved, to remember to give thanks to them when we are at our tables eating our foods.
Ages 4-9
pierce college library
  filosa | May 26, 2018 |
How do we get our food? This book talks about farms letting us know where food comes from. The many people that are involved in the process and the many resources that are included to getting the food into our homes and on the table.

Age- 3+
Source- Pierce College Library
  Otellie | Feb 28, 2018 |
A lovely, simple book that makes the point beautifully--be grateful to all the people who work to make sure food reaches your table! ( )
  emtimmins | Nov 30, 2015 |
Simple, rhyming text takes the reader through the process of creating food, starting with planting, tending and harvesting plants and caring for animals. The next step is packaging and transport, then the grocery store, shopping, and preparing a meal. The book ends with a spread featuring all the people involved in the food cycle.

I'd like to add more books on this subject and this one includes a wide variety of processes and is aimed at very young children, but there are a couple things that make me hesitant to add it.

It focuses on what looks like family farms and local, organic produce and animals, but pictures the food being transported in semitrucks. I like the idea of local, organic food, but the practical reality of where I live is that not many people can afford to purchase it in stores. The farmer's markets we have don't include the variety of foods pictured here. I also felt the animals being included and showing gathering eggs, milking cows but nothing of the meat process (seriously, what else were you planning to do with those pigs?) is a bit disingenuous.

There is a decent variety of races and ages pictured, as well as some children involved in the work. However, I'm not really thrilled with the blocky woodcut style of the illustrations. I wanted a lot more information in the book than was available and something that fitted more exactly in my local area.

Verdict: This publisher's titles are a little more expensive and this wasn't quite what I wanted, so I'm going to pass on it. However, if you are looking for books to introduce the food cycle to very young children this could be a good choice.

ISBN: 9780884483526; Published 2014 by Tilbury House; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Sep 13, 2015 |
Kindergarten to Grade 2 ( )
  nszeidem | Feb 23, 2015 |

Milk doesn't just appear in your refrigerator, or apples on your kitchen counter. Before we eat, many people must work very hard planting grain, catching fish, tending animals, and filling crates. In this book, vibrantly illustrated by Caldecott Medalist Mary Azarian, readers find out what must happen before food can get to our table to nourish our bodies and spirits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

As a family sits down to enjoy a meal, thoughts of those who provide the food, from farmers who plant and tend seeds to store clerks who sell groceries, fill each one with gratitude.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible