Murder on the Ile Sordou by M. L. Longworth

Murder on the Ile Sordou (2014)

by M. L. Longworth

Some fascinating characters gather on a Mediterranean island to enjoy the sun and the fine food and wine. Not everyone is as charming as the detectives, and soon someone is dead. A modern French version of the country house mystery. Effervescent and certainly recommended. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Oct 21, 2017 |
Loving this series, just keeps getting better. And the author is Toronto born!
  APopova | Jan 2, 2017 |
I received a free kindle copy of Murder on the Ile Sordou by M.L. Longworth, published by Penguin Group, from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

This book is the sparkling fourth entry in the Verlaque and Bonnet Provençal mystery series and it was the first time I read M.L. Longworth's writing. I will look for more. I enjoyed the twists & turns in this mystery. The characters were well developed, the dialogue crisp & the plot entertaining. I love a story that keeps me guessing from start to finish. I gave it five stars.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Ile-Sordou-Proven-al-Provencal-ebook/dp/B00INIXKN0/... ( )
  Carolyn.Injoy-Life | Apr 18, 2015 |
I read this upon returning from a trip to Provence so especially enjoyed reading Murder on the Ile Sordou. A group of tourists visit a posh new hotel situated on a fictitious island off the coast of Marseille when one member of the group is murdered. The book reads like a good old fashioned Agatha Christie whodunnit. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Feb 3, 2015 |
Murder on the Île Sordou is the 4th book in the Verlaque and Bonnet Mystery series. I will say it was a very French mystery. It would also fall under the cozies. I think there was almost as much time discussing the food being served as there was in character building.

We meet most of the characters one at a time, get a little glimpse into their past and who they are. Well, most of them any way. Our Antoine and Marine, our protagonists are off to have a nice vacation together at a newly re-opened high-class hotel on a small remote island off the coast of Marseille. The proprietors Max and Cat-cat Le Bon have just spent a small fortune refurbishing the place, much of it their life savings, and that of a couple investors. One of which is an old school chum of Antoione’s, who is also there for the grand opening.

There was a limited but wide-ranging cast of individuals. A washed up actor, his trophy wife, and her teenage son. A retired school teacher, Marine’s best friend and an American couple. There was also the hired help who came from a varied background. The innocent local girl, the ex-con the hot dock boy plus a couple others. And lets not forget the crazy local who takes care of the historic lighthouse.

This one had the murder take place fairly far into the book giving us a pretty good idea who the victim was going to be. Mostly because he’s the one we all wanted to die! There were several different suspects for several very different reasons. However, if you are paying attention it will appear pretty obvious who did it and even an idea of why. I didn’t consider this one a big mystery, but more of an interesting story of one man’s fate he brought upon himself. ( )
  readafew | Oct 28, 2014 |

Like Donna Leon and Andrea Camilleri, M. L. Longworth’s books enchant mystery lovers with a taste for good food and gorgeous landscapes. In Murder on the Île Sordou, Judge Antoine Verlaque and his girlfriend, law professor Marine Bonnet, are hoping to enjoy a relaxing holiday at the Locanda Sordou, an opulent hotel that is reopening after decades, but someone has other plans.

Maxime and Catherine Le Bon have spent their life savings restoring the Locanda, which lies on an archipelago just off the coast of Marseille. The murder of one of the guests casts a shadow over everyone’s vacation, and Verlaque and Bonnet are once again called to investigate. But things go from bad to worse when a violent storm cuts off all communication with the mainland. Will the killer strike again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

"The fourth book in the series finds Verlaque and Bonnet on vacation on a remote island in the glittering Mediterranean Like Donna Leon and Andrea Camilleri, M. L. Longworth's books enchant mystery lovers with a taste for good food and gorgeous landscapes. In Murder on the ?Ile Sordou, Judge Antoine Verlaque and his girlfriend, law professor Marine Bonnet, are hoping to enjoy a relaxing holiday at the Locanda Sordou, an opulent hotel that is reopening after decades, but someone has other plans. Maxime Le Bon and his wife have spent their life savings restoring the Locanda, which lies on an archipelago just off the coast of Marseille. The murder of one of the guests casts a shadow over everyone's vacation, and Verlaque and Bonnet are once again called to investigate. But things go from bad to worse when a violent storm cuts off all communication with the mainland. Will the killer strike again?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible