Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a…

Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist

by Tim Federle

Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist by Tim Federle is a follow up to Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist. This volume, presented as a board book for new parents, offers some drinking tips for frazzled parents.

I know it's all in fun and games. It's certainly in the same spirit as other children's books for parents, such as Go the Fuck to Sleep and You Seriously Have to Fucking Eat by Adam Mansbach. Those types of books don't really appeal to me. Part of it is, I'm well beyond the nightly picture book reading, and I happen to like reading picture books for pleasure.

Part of my reaction certainly is to the feeling that drinking and parenting don't go together. New parents are up at all hours anyway. They are physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. Alcohol in that is a dangerous mix. I'm not saying it doesn't happen and I'm not saying that new parent's shouldn't drink, but I'm hoping that those parents have a designated parent.

So immediately there are two hits against this book:

1) Humor at the sake of how difficult children can be (and making them sound universally unwanted)
2) Recipes that promise quick inebriation (to make parenting more bearable)

The recipes themselves don't appeal to me either. The first book had lots (at least half of the recipes) that I wanted to try. This one looks cute but the recipes seem too forced to comply wit the nursery rhyme theme. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 18, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0762455055, Board book)

Move over, Mother Goose.

Congratulations, and welcome to parenthood! Babies are a miracle, but even miracles poop. A lot. Thank goodness she’s got your twinkling eyes, he’s got your perfect nose, and we’ve got your aching back. Welcome to Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist—the ultimate gift for new parents everywhere.

Featuring 20 classic nursery rhymes with a decidedly grown-up twist, it’s time to lose the rattle, pick up a shaker, and throw yourself an extremely quiet party. Especially if you’ve finally gotten the baby to sleep, which is always worth toasting to.

Drinks include:
—Eeny, Martini, Miny, Mo
—Jack and Coke (and Jill)
—Ring Around the Rosé
—Old MacDonald Had a Flask
—Baa, Baa, Black Russian
—and more!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

Features drink recipes for parents of young children along with parodies of nursery rhymes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible