1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die: A Food…

1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die: A Food Lover's Life List

by Mimi Sheraton

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I have to confess: according to my parents I'm obsessed with talking about food. And when I start to think about it, yes, I like talking about food (and browsing recipes) at least as much as the food itself. But I'll try to keep it short.

I'm not even that much of an exotic eater. Yes, I like my curry and I've eaten Chinese in China, but I wouldn't really buy something on the street I think. (The book gives some tips on what to buy, and more useful what foods not to buy on the street). This doesn't mean that I did not enjoy this book. The 1000 recipes (and foods, shops etc) that are presented come from all different kitchens,

While it's obviously not a book to read from A to Z I do think it has something for everyone (if you like food that is). I was especially pleased with the part on the Dutch and Belgian cuisine (since the talk is always in the Netherlands that there is no such thing. I mean, imagine going to a Dutch restaurant instead of, like, an Italian one. Now I come to think about it, there is a Dutch 'pannenkoeken' (pancakes) restaurant in London, but I digress). The other parts also have some interesting stories, and also some of the foods come with a recipe.

Would recommend!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die is a joyous, informative, dazzling, mouthwatering life list of the world's best food.

1,000 Foods fully delivers on the promise of its title, selecting from the best cuisines around the world - the tastes, ingredients, dishes, and restaurants that every reader should experience and dream about. It celebrates haute and snack, comforting and exotic, hyper-local and the universally enjoyed.
  BurnFundLib | Mar 20, 2016 |

The ultimate gift for the food lover. In the same way that 1,000 Places to See Before You Die reinvented the travel book, 1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die is a joyous, informative, dazzling, mouthwatering life list of the world’s best food. The long-awaited new book in the phenomenal 1,000 . . . Before You Die series, it’s the marriage of an irresistible subject with the perfect writer, Mimi Sheraton—award-winning cookbook author, grande dame of food journalism, and former restaurant critic for The New York Times.

1,000 Foods fully delivers on the promise of its title, selecting from the best cuisines around the world (French, Italian, Chinese, of course, but also Senegalese, Lebanese, Mongolian, Peruvian, and many more)—the tastes, ingredients, dishes, and restaurants that every reader should experience and dream about, whether it’s dinner at Chicago’s Alinea or the perfect empanada. In more than 1,000 pages and over 550 full-color photographs, it celebrates haute and snack, comforting and exotic, hyper-local and the universally enjoyed: a Tuscan plate of Fritto Misto. Saffron Buns for breakfast in downtown Stockholm. Bird’s Nest Soup. A frozen Milky Way. Black truffles from Le Périgord.

Mimi Sheraton is highly opinionated, and has a gift for supporting her recommendations with smart, sensuous descriptions—you can almost taste what she’s tasted. You’ll want to eat your way through the book (after searching first for what you have already tried, and comparing notes). Then, following the romance, the practical: where to taste the dish or find the ingredient, and where to go for the best recipes, websites included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:53 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible