Cuba Straits by Randy Wayne White

Cuba Straits (2015)

by Randy Wayne White

It's hard to believe how a writer I once considered the best in America, regardless of genre, has fallen in my estimation. I won't even pick up his next one, already released, because this was the absolute worst of his last five. As I've said before, I believe his earlier works are pure literature. ( )
  TimDel | Feb 2, 2017 |
I listened to the audio version and I have to say it was better then Haunted and Bone Deep but still had issues. After listening to those two books, i was prepared to be dissapointed again. It seems White is trying to change his writing style or make it more complex and its not working. There were many times when it was really hard to follow the dialogue and keep track of who's who especially at the beginning. After about half way through the story finally started coming together but it still was not his best. Also, I didnt care for the ending. I felt like there were alot of loose ends that never got tied up. We never heard what happened to Tomlinson, where did the letters go, who killed the mistress etc. Also, the story made it sound like the "Castro's mistress" killed Vernon at first, then it said she had been dead for a couple days so I never did understand that??? Anyways, White needs to stick to the formula that was working, because these last few books have not worked for me. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
One of the things I enjoy about Randy Wayne White's books is his home locale. I live the next island over from Sanibel and when he writes about driving down Macgregor Blvd. and crossing the Sky Bridge to Fort Myers Beach, I know all about it. I drive those routes to get home. This was not my favorite book by White but still completely enjoyable and with lots of action and the usual cast of quirky characters. The White humor is also there even in the face of seemingly grim situations. Recommend for old or new White fans. ( )
  ewhatley | Mar 23, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible