What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days: 52…

What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days: 52 Encouraging Truths to Hold On…

by Holley Gerth

195537,190 (4.8)None

I am still reading this wonderful book. It's been a huge help to me during these difficult days. I found this gem in a bookstore; I wasn't even looking for something like this, but there it was. Gerth has a gift for writing insightfully yet succinctly too, and doesn't come off pollyanna-ish. This is one I'll be picking up again and again, especially during the hard days. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I LOVE THIS BOOK!

All you have to do is LOOK at it and it will cheer you up!

Yes I am a sucker for a cute little book that has a coffee cup on the cover... but that is only a part of this book's charm!

Just wait til you get a look inside! Holley Gerth is a genius! She has put together a beautiful, endearing, uplifting book and anyone - absolutely anyone can find something inside that will apply to their life!

Yes it is set up so that you can read and study one concept each week for 52 weeks of the year but I don't think many of you will want to stop reading once you get started!

It is such a comfort to find good, Biblical advice, especially in this crazy, upside down world we live in.

And I absolutely love the little sections provided at the end of each chapter for notes, the bible verses and the wonderful prompts. Not only does Holley delve deep into what the Bible tells us Jesus wants for us - she draws us in and interacts with us while doing it.

Bravo Holley!

I am compelled to go out and find more of Holley's wonderful books and I hope you will feel the same!

Why oh why haven't I seen these fantastic little books before!

This is a book that everyone needs to have handy for those everyday challenges that make us feel worn out and defeated - along with their personal Bible of course.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

Thank You and God Bless! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Title: What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days
Author: Kelly Gerth
Pages: 256
Year: 2014
Publisher: Revell
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Heart-Needs-Hard/dp/0800722884/ref=sr_1_1?s=book...
Sometimes our daily life seems hard, and at times the word “hard” doesn’t even begin to describe our reality does it? Perhaps, when going through those days, you aren’t sure where to turn in your Bible for a word to help calm your heart, remind you that God is right there or even that tomorrow is a new day.
Author Kelly Gerth shares 52 truths that are meant to encourage women either when life hits a rocky moment or the season goes on for days in which case the little book can be used as a devotional. Each entry begins with a short story, followed by a prayer and a space for readers to write what they hear the Lord saying to them. The author points to passages of Scripture to abide in and gain strength, perspective, healing or whatever need the heart yearns for.
We all look for someone to understand us as women, especially when we are struggling. Here is a book to give to someone or keep for yourself to grab when your heart needs some encouragement to go on. Abide in the Word that is shared, take time away from the noise of life to hear the Father speak and watch for Him to touch you where you are.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 20, 2014 |
Holley Gerth finds a way to hit at the heart of what women are dealing with emotionally as they try to balance a career, a marriage, being a mom, and everything else that goes along with it. Holley has written books to encourage and offer hope just when women may feel like giving up. In WHAT YOUR HEART NEEDS FOR THE HARD DAYS she has written a devotional that can be read regularly, or just when you need some focused encouragement.

By taking 52 truths, you can find one to read and ponder on or read one each week of the year. In my review of this book, I looked at the various chapter titles and read ones that hit at my own struggles. I found chapters on anxiety, high expectations, and feeling alone to speak right to my needs. Each of the chapters covers about 3 pages of insight beginning with a Bible verse. Your short devotional covers a story and promise for how to get through this particular "hard time". Each devotional ends with a beginning of a prayer than you personalize and a space for you to write your own thoughts from a couple chapters in the Bible.

This book would work perfect as a personal or women's group study. You can read each chapter in order or pick and choose the chapter that meets your particular needs that day. Some of the truths I found in my reading included:
Pinpointing my anxious thoughts and replacing them with faith instead so my emotions can change too.
God is present in the whole process. He is there in the beginning. He is there in the middle. He will be there when it comes to an end. God wants me to praise Him during the whole process.
I don't have to be as strong as I think I do. I don't have to pretend. I don't have to put up a front for God. He can handle where I am at today. I can tell Him the truth because He already knows it.
If these few items spoke to you, I highly recommend you read WHAT YOUR HEART NEEDS FOR THE HARD DAYS. You may not feel like you are in the midst of a "hard or difficult day", but Holley gets right at the realities of daily life and lets you know you aren't alone. ( )
  Staciele | Sep 16, 2014 |
When I saw this book had 52 devotionals I thought, “Oh one for each week of the year.” Well when I started reading it was more like 3 or 4 a day! They were like potato chips, I couldn’t stop with just one!! I have been having many hard days since the death of my husband and all life’s “extra’s” to face alone. I truly found this book very encouraging.
Each devotional draws its encouragement from a scripture in Psalms. The Bible is the true source of all of our encouragement. The titles of every one of them spoke to my heart. They were worded perfectly to catch my attention. I found them to be exactly the thought or questions I might be consciously or unconsciously thinking about my situation. Holley’s stories and thoughts that followed helped me look outside of my “hard day” and focus on my loving Heavenly Father and His Word. I know sometimes when I have dealing with difficulties I tend to concentrate on the problem looming before and forget to give all my attention to the Lord. I found myself thinking, “Yes! I am not alone. God has this under control. I can make it with Him!
The devotionals are only 2 to 3 pages each. I appreciated this because when I am troubled I find myself having difficulty concentrating on things for a prolonged length of time. There is also a prayer at the end of the devotional and a place to write down how God spoke to you. This is special to me because then I can refer back again and again to His comfort and guidance. I also liked the contents at the front of the book. It made it easy to skim the titles and find just the one I needed at that moment. The book is the perfect size to fit in a purse, or backpack, and easily fits in your hand when you are reading. You will want to have one for you and several to give to friends who are struggling with “hard days”.
I received this book free from Revell Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Sep 9, 2014 |

In this uplifting book, Holley Gerth invites readers to sit down with her to be filled with the strength, peace, and joy that come from God's promises to us. Each of the 52 devotions based on the Psalms will help weary women remember that God is good and we're all in this together. Whether it's a bad hair day or a broken heart, Holley offers hope and encouragement to get us through whatever life brings.

Women need that kind of encouragement because we all have hard days--days that make us want to give up, retreat inside ourselves, and drown our sorrows in a pint of ice cream. And while we may crave all sorts of things to ease the pain we feel in our hearts, what we really need is truth. We need to be confident in God's character and his promises. We need to remember--and celebrate--who he made us to be. And we need exactly the kind of encouragement Holley Gerth loves to offer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

We all have hard days-the kind that make us want to give up, retreat inside ourselves, and drown our sorrows in a pint of ice cream. And while we may crave all sorts of things to ease the pain we feel, what our hearts really need is to be filled up with truth. We need to be confident in God's character and his promises. We need to remember that we're loved no matter what. We need to know that we're going to be okay.In this uplifting book, Wall Street Journal bestselling author Holley Gerth shares the strength, peace, and hope that come from knowing who God is, how much he cares for us, and why we can trust that he'll get us through whatever we may face. Each of the fifty-two devotions based on the Psalms will help weary women remember that God is faithful, we're all in this together, and there's a good plan for our lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,597,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible