Death of a Liar by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Liar

by M. C. Beaton

1771967,048 (3.52)12

"Sergeant Hamish Macbeth is alarmed to receive a report from a woman in the small village of Cromish in the Scottish Highlands. She claims to have been brutally attacked by a criminal who is now on the loose, but upon further investigation, Macbeth discovers that she was lying about the incident. When the same woman calls him back about an intruder, he advises her to go and see a psychiatrist about her compulsion to lie.

"But much to Macbeth's dismay, this time it appears she was telling the truth -- the woman's body is found in her home. Now, Hamish must sort through the tangled web of lies and figure out what really happened."
~~front flap

Another wonderful romp through Lochdubh and the Scottish Highlands, Strathbane and the miserable Strathbane police force. This series isn't great on plot, but the characters are always amusing and it's a wonderful escape. If only escaping to the Highlands was this easy in reality! ( )
  Aspenhugger | May 30, 2018 |
This reading experience was a bit...odd. I was expecting a cozy British mystery, but what a got was a British mystery book that was apparently trying very hard to be funny, but failed. At least for me it failed. There were so many weird things happening all the time, two spinster sisters accusing the main character, Hamish Macbeth of being a Casanova every time he was seen with a woman, a woman getting bit by a fox, a woman finding a dead body and then she stumbles and hits her head and dies, etc. But it wasn't funny, in any way. The case in itself could have been more interesting, a woman with mythomania gets killed and it all leads to a religious cult. But it lacked depth in both the characters and the story and Macbeth's women problems get a bit too much attention.

This is the first Hamish Macbeth book I read, so perhaps you have to read them from the beginning to appreciate the books and its "humor"...

2 stars

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
First hamish macbeth book I've read. I enjoyed. I will continue by starting with the f irst book of the series. ( )
  crazeedi73 | Aug 26, 2017 |
It was JUST ok, not great. I felt that the plot wandered a lot and it was boring in places too.
Not as good as her previous books, in my opinion.
Only read it, if you want to say that you have read all of the Macbeth books. ( )
  TineSidhe | Aug 23, 2017 |
More Hamish, more fun, more gorgeous Scottish scenery and easy on the heart plot. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jun 30, 2016 |
Jenny; brother,
Rupert; nephew, Jack;
and boyfriend, Ben
Sawbridge.
Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth and his sidekick, Dick Fraser, sat in deck chairs in the front garden of the police station enjoying the Indian summer and the fact that the county of Sutherland in the very north of Scotland seemed free of crime.

"Sergeant Hamish Macbeth is alarmed to receive a report from a woman in the small village of Cronish in the Scottish Highlands. She has been brutally attacked and the criminal is on the loose. But upon further investigation, Hamish discovers that she was lying about the crime. So when the same woman calls him back about an intruder, he simply marvels at her compulsion to lie. This time, though, she is telling the truth. Her body is found in her home and Hamish must sort through all of her lies to solve the crime"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible