Flight From Hell by Yasmine Galenorn
203515,329 (3.75)None

I have read a couple of books in this series before, but it has been a while. Flight from Hell was a great way to jump back into Galenorn's world and get caught back up in the lives of the D’Artigo sisters. Despite not having read this series in a while, I was quickly able to catch up with what was currently going on with the sisters as well as enjoyed the introduction of the several new characters in the story. I think that this novella serves as a great introduction to both series since I am now interested in checking out the new series as well as catch up on the old one. Galenorn fit plenty of action into her tale, and the story definitely kept this reader's attention from beginning to end. Overall Flight from Hell proved to be a great read that I would recommend to both new and old fans of the series.

Received a copy of Flight from Hell from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Jan 18, 2015 |
Shimmer is a blue dragon, exiled from the Dragon Reaches after a very ill-advised theft, she now has to live Earthside with most of her powers stripped from her.

She only been on Earth for a short time - but when she starts acting very out of character, Carter, her lover calls on the D’Artigo sisters to try and find some answers and try and find Shimmer herself, who has vanished

Menolly quickly uncovers a connection between Shimmer’s odd behaviour and a new threat in town – a vampire sorcerer looking for revenge.

I have issues with this novella. Mainly the same issues I have with the Otherworld Series in general, but exacerbated by this being a shorter story. There is just such a lot of recap and reminder of previous stories, so much hammering home who everyone is, what everyone has done, what has happened before and why and how that wasn’t really needed here which would clutter up even a full length novel, let alone a novella

This novella has been bogged down with all the litter of the last story. Menolly being Roman’s consort, Smoky and Shadow’s existence, Camille’s relationship, Delila’s dead twin, Menolly’s past and scars, the previous vampire serial killer, what Iris is currently up to, chase and his elven heritage, the magical storm in Otherworld – all of this is completely unnecessary to the plot and has been added in almost as padding

This adds to some other elements of over-descriptiveness – like a lecture on the merits of locking your car from Menolly. Or detailed descriptions of Carter’s cats. We really don’t need this – we don’t need this in a full length book, in a novella this is overwhelming the short plot line we have. It also makes elements that would have worked – like following up a dead end in the investigation with Wilbur – not work because it felt like more padding. When you have so many excess story elements, every new dead end or red herring, even for plot purposes, just adds to this padding

This excess padding contributes to another major problem – this isn’t a book in the Otherworld Series. It’s set in the same world, but it’s supposed to be the first book in the Fly By Night Series following Shimmer, Ralph and Alex. And in that it failed epicly.

Every part of this story was told almost entirely from Menolly’s point of view – one of the main characters from the Otherworld Series. All the relevant action was performed by the three D’Artigo sisters who are the protagonists in the Otherworld Series. Alex just follows the sisters around really adding a great deal or doing an awful lot to establish his character. We have some, but he’s so overwhelmed by the sisters. Ralph is barely even there, I completely forgot about him repeatedly and thought he was an excess character. And Shimmer? We get a little from her at the beginning of the book and enough of her back story and culture to make her interesting enough as an outcast from her society with strong class parallels. I think her story could be interesting. But this isn’t her story. This is the story where she is the object – she exists in this story to be rescued and that’s about it. The background we’re given could easily have been the background for someone the sisters are investigating – she’s nearly completely absent as a character in this book.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 14, 2014 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Vivacious Valkyrie - Marta:
*Copy gifted in exchange for an honest review

Fans of the Otherworld series will no doubt rush to get this novella as it's a chance to catch up with the lives and antics of the D'Artigo sisters but it's so much more than just a short read. This book introduces new characters which will feature in the authors new Fly By Night series. This is a short crossover story that is expanding Otherworld and giving greater depth and dimension to the people who inhabit it but rest assured it's still the same glorious ride that readers have come to expect from this amazingly talented author.

This story introduces Shimmer a dragon who is exiled from the Dragon Reaches for five years and sent Earthside to work for Alex a vampire who runs a magical investigation company. She goes missing, and Menolly and her sisters, (half human, half Fae and all attitude!) are asked to investigate. Menolly is already trying to solve the mystery of rogue vampires in Seattle and can't help but question whether or not there's a connection . Alex is an unknown and can Menolly and her sisters really trust him? As their investigation hots up its clear that a powerful and deadly foe without conscience is targeting Alex and anyone caught in the crossfire is in danger. Struggling to find Shimmer whilst catching the murderous vampires plaguing the city will put all their lives in peril but with an enemy who has revenge on his mind and anger in his heart to fight , there is no choice. Fight or die trying!

Most of this book is told from Menolly's point of view and as she is my favourite of the D'Artigo sisters I'm a happy reader! When we first read about Menolly at the beginning of this story she's somewhat at a loss. Menolly has recently lost a true friend and also her bar but in true Menolly style she's not down and out , no she's prepared to embrace new challenges . Unfortunately the problem of the rogue vampires is going to prove to be a lot more complicated then anyone could have predicted and add to that the mysterious Alex who has definitely been keeping under the supernatural radar and you can understand that this story is just the beginning. I think that's what just might irritate some readers as although there is an end of sorts, it's not a complete and absolute definitive ending. So in order to get to the truth readers will need to get the next book in this series.

This author writes very good urban fantasy in my opinion and although there are relationships within her books it's not really my idea of romantic fiction . These sisters have very unusual love lives but in this short story there's no real interaction .This story however pulled me in from the first page and it was such fun meeting new characters and I have to admit they are very intruiging. It's also worth noting that I thought this worked well as a standalone and would be an ideal way for new readers to sample the authors work although I have to admit that reading a series in order is clearly the best way to get maximum enjoyment . I loved catching up with the sisters and we even get a glimpse of a supporting character who previously has not been the most pleasant but Ms Galenorn gives a glimpse of his inner pain in this book. Her books are both dark and humorous at times and there's never a dull moment. Although Menolly may have started this story missing her friend but I think these new characters are about to rock her world! If the mission was to expand the Otherworld universe then mission well and truly accomplished ! ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Aug 18, 2014 |

When the half-demon Carter approaches Menolly and her sisters desperately asking for their help, they think he's just had a tiff with Shimmer, his blue dragon girlfriend. But after talking to Alex Radcliffe, the owner of the Fly By Night Magical Investigations Agency where Shimmer works, they suspect that she has been kidnapped by an old enemy of Alex's.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible