The Train to Crystal City: FDR's Secret…

The Train to Crystal City: FDR's Secret Prisoner Exchange Program and…

by Jan Jarboe Russell

I thought I knew about the US internment camps during WWII, but I didn't know about this. It's a pity the writing is so pedestrian, but nonetheless, read this!
  revliz | Jul 10, 2017 |
An eye opening look at a family internment camp in Texas during World War II and the program to exchange immigrants and their US born children for POWs. ( )
  hoosgracie | Nov 23, 2016 |
Other reviewers have laid out the story told by this book, so I will not duplicate their efforts. This is a worthwhile story to be told, and I found it very informative of events in history of which I knew very little. However, I found the writing to be somewhat dry and the book too long, and after a while I felt like I was slogging through it. I wanted to finish it, and I did, but it was somewhat of a chore. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Aug 5, 2016 |
These types of books are right up my reading alley. These, military, and animal books are about the only non-fiction I read. I am not familiar with Crystal City. Yet I am not surprised as this was way before my time but also it seems that now a days the media does not really report on news but on celebrities. We as a society have forgotten our history which is very important.

The reason that I rated this book so low is not because of the people but because of the way this book was written. The first four chapters I could not remember a word of what was written in them. Also I felt that the author repeated herself a lot with events. The writing came off dry and thus kind of a chore to read. The only interesting thing was the people and reading about what they had to endure. Not to take anything away from the events but I found myself after a bit skimming the pages rather then reading them, so I put it down. ( )
  Cherylk | Apr 9, 2016 |
This book details the "internment", aka concentration camp for families of "enemy" aliens that the US govt built in Crystal City, Tx for Japanese, Germans, and Italians living in America. Wives and children born in the US joined their husband behind barbed wire for about 5 years. What they owned...homes, bank accounts...all was confiscated. Some heroes come out of the story having done their best for these unfortunate people, the camp supervisor and the head of the Immigration Service in Washington, DC. Horribly, some of the people were sent to Germany late in the war for exchange with American citizens stranded there. Some of the people sent were not German citizens and could not even speak fluent German. The book follows individuals whose stories are told during the camp and afterwards through their lives. Eventually the Japanese were issued an official apology and some money from our government, but legislation was never passed to do the same for the German Americans or Italians. Interesting book on a shameful chapter of US history. ( )
  bereanna | Mar 31, 2016 |
Mr. O’Rourke wrote of watching “typical American boys and girls develop deep feelings of betrayal by their government.” After all, in a situation rife with absurdities, they were being taught the Bill of Rights in schools at Crystal City, where those rights had been taken away from them.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Jan 18, 2015)

Enemies are people whose stories you haven't yet heard and whose faces you haven't yet seen.
-Irene Hasenberg Butter, Holocaust survivor, during an interview at her home in Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 13 2013
This book is in memory of Maury Maverick Jr., heroic civil rights lawyer, politician, fearless newspaper columnist, and my mentor. Before he died on January 28, 2003, he would often call to ask, "What have you done for your country today?" This book is my attempt at an answer.
Trains are a primary symbol of World War II. (Preface)
On January 8, 1942, one month and one day after the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, America's entry into World War II, Ingrid Eiserloh's world changed forever.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible