After We Kill You, We Will Welcome You Back…

After We Kill You, We Will Welcome You Back as Honored Guests: Unembedded… (2014)

by Ted Rall

The first third of the book is a rehashing of Rall's 'To Afghanistan and Back', which is why I downrated rated 'After we...' a bit. But this is still one of the few accounts of what's happening to ordinary Afghans during America's longest war, and what the Afghan people actually think, feel, and want. (Mostly, for the U.S. to leave.) Rall toured Afghanistan 11 years after his first trip, mostly to see what had really happened in that time. The book is quite openly political; Rall refers to the war ON Afghanistan, not 'in', and explains why he's chosen that phrasing. There are several surprises (Afghanistan now has paved roads...which aren't used very much, because of bandits, the Taliban, and American attacks; the Taliban uses bike gang attacks ala 'Mad Max') and some expected findings. (The famous pipeline for natural gas and oil? Doesn't exist, and there are no signs anyone is even trying to build it.) Overall, informative and funny in a 'you have to laugh because otherwise you'd scream' way. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Sep 15, 2014 |

Ted Rallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elewa, AdlyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kagan, AbbyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rall, TedCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An unflinching account—in words and pictures—of America’s longest war by our most outspoken graphic journalist

Ted Rall traveled deep into Afghanistan—without embedding himself with U.S. soldiers, without insulating himself with flak jackets and armored SUVs—where no one else would go (except, of course, Afghans).
     He made two long trips: the first in the wake of 9/11, and the next ten years later to see what a decade of U.S. occupation had wrought. On the first trip, he shouted his dispatches into a satellite phone provided by a Los Angeles radio station, attempting to explain that the booming in the background—and sometimes the foreground—were the sounds of an all-out war that no one at home would entirely own up to. Ten years later, the alternative newspapers and radio station that had financed his first trip could no longer afford to send him into harm’s way, so he turned to Kickstarter to fund a groundbreaking effort to publish online a real-time blog of graphic journalism (essentially, a nonfiction comic) documenting what was really happening on the ground, filed daily by satellite.
     The result of this intrepid reporting is After We Kill You, We Will Welcome You Back as Honored Guests—a singular account of one determined journalist’s effort to bring the realities of life in twenty-first-century Afghanistan to the world in the best way he knows how: a mix of travelogue, photography, and award-winning comics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:44 -0400)

"An unflinching account--in words and pictures--of America's longest war by our most outspoken graphic journalist Ted Rall traveled deep into Afghanistan--without embedding himself with U.S. soldiers, without insulating himself with flak jackets and armored SUVs--where no one else would go (except, of course, Afghans). He made two long trips: the first in the wake of 9/11, and the next ten years later to see what a decade of U.S. occupation had wrought. On the first trip, he shouted his dispatches into a satellite phone provided by a Los Angeles radio station, attempting to explain that the booming in the background--and sometimes the foreground--were the sounds of an all-out war that no one at home would entirely own up to. Ten years later, the alternative newspapers and radio station that had financed his first trip could no longer afford to send him into harm's way, so he turned to Kickstarter to fund a groundbreaking effort to publish online a real-time blog of graphic journalism (essentially, a nonfiction comic) documenting what was really happening on the ground, filed daily by satellite. The result of this intrepid reporting is After We Kill You, We Will Welcome You Back as Honored Guests--a singular account of one determined journalist's effort to bring the realities of life in twenty-first-century Afghanistan to the world in the best way he knows how: a mix of travelogue, photography, and award-winning comics."-- Publisher information. "An unflinching account - in words and pictures - of America's war in Afghanistan by our most outspoken graphic journalist."--Publisher information.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible