George Marshall: A Biography by Debi Unger

George Marshall: A Biography

by Debi Unger

This book kind of slipped by me. I have multiple biographies on Marshall so when I saw this one at Amazon, I got it to read about where the author's perspective is from.

I read it in the midst of other books I was reading so nothing about the book caught my attention.

THEN I read some reviews on Amazon. Mostly mixed and many unfavorable reviews. So I am going to reread this book paying attention to details so I can figure out what the all fuss is about.

UPDATE: pending ( )
  usma83 | Sep 6, 2016 |
This is a marvelous biography of a man who led an interesting and well-connected life. The Ungers showcase a detailed and easily readable biography, with the best part coming during World War II showing the war from Marshall’s point of view. A definite must read for military or history buffs.

Free review copy. ( )
  mrmapcase | Oct 23, 2014 |

A major historical biography of George C. Marshall—the general who ran the U.S. campaign during the Second World War, the Secretary of State who oversaw the successful rebuilding of post-war Europe, and the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize—and the first to offer a complete picture of his life.

While Eisenhower Patton, Bradley, Montgomery, MacArthur, Nimitz, and Leahy waged battles in Europe and the Pacific, one military leader actually ran World War II for America, overseeing personnel and logistics: Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army from 1939 to 1945, George C. Marshall.

This interpretive biography of George C. Marshall follows his life from his childhood in Western Pennsylvania and his military training at the Virginia Military Institute to his role during and after World War II and his death in 1959 at the age of seventy-eight. It brings to light the virtuous historical role models who inspired him, including George Washington and Robert E. Lee, and his relationships with the Washington political establishment, military brass, and foreign leaders, from Harry Truman to Chiang Kai-shek. It explores Marshall’s successes and failures during World War II, and his contributions through two critical years of the emerging Cold War—including the transformative Marshall Plan, which saved Western Europe from Soviet domination, and the failed attempt to unite China’s nationalists and communists.

Based on breathtaking research and filled with rich detail, George Marshall is sure to be hailed as the definitive work on one of the most influential figures in American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:42 -0400)

Presents a complete picture of the life of George C. Marshall, from his childhood and military training through his role as chief of staff of the U.S. Army during World War II and his leadership efforts as Secretary of State in rebuilding post-war Europe.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible