@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet…

@War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex

by Shane Harris

An OK book, not all that exciting. Lots of chatter about all the bad hacker activity on the Internet, lots of talk how companies haven't dealt with the issue ( I know when I was a network admin, it was status quo to do "security by obscurity". Nothing earth shattering. Mildly recommend (if you're in IT then it'll be more interesting). Great narrator. ( )
  marshapetry | Oct 8, 2015 |
An impressive work of journalism, Harris weaves an extremely readable narrative out of the twisted and shadowy maze of cyber espionage and offensive cyber operations. Along the way, he strikes a generally balanced and moderate tone. A strong and accessible overview of the past 15 years of cyber.
  JLHeim | Dec 7, 2014 |

A surprising, page-turning account of how the wars of the future are already being fought today

The United States military currently views cyberspace as the “fifth domain” of warfare (alongside land, air, sea, and space), and the Department of Defense, the National Security Agency, and the CIA all field teams of hackers who can, and do, launch computer virus strikes against enemy targets. In fact, as @WAR shows, U.S. hackers were crucial to our victory in Iraq. Shane Harris delves into the frontlines of America’s new cyber war. As recent revelations have shown, government agencies are joining with tech giants like Google and Facebook to collect vast amounts of information. The military has also formed a new alliance with tech and finance companies to patrol cyberspace, and Harris offers a deeper glimpse into this partnership than we have ever seen before. Finally, Harris explains what the new cybersecurity regime means for all of us, who spend our daily lives bound to the Internet — and are vulnerable to its dangers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

The United States military now views cyberspace as the "fifth domain" of warfare, alongside land, air, sea, and space. The Pentagon, the National Security Agency, and the CIA field teams of hackers who launch cyber strikes against enemy targets--and amass staggering quantities of personal information on all of us. These same virtual warriors, along with a growing band of private-sector counterparts, are charged with defending us against the vast array of criminals, terrorists, and foreign governments who attack us with ever-increasing frequency and effectiveness. Journalist Shane Harris infiltrates the frontlines of this fifth domain, explaining how and why government agencies are joining with tech giants like Google and Microsoft to collect huge amounts of information and launch private cyber wars. The military has also formed a new alliance with tech and finance companies to patrol cyberspace, and Harris offers a penetrating and unnerving view of this partnership. Finally, he details the welter of opportunities and threats that the mushrooming "military-Internet complex" poses for our personal freedoms, our economic security, and the future of our nation.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible