The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014…

The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014

by Daniel Handler (Editor)

Other authors: Andrew Foster Altschul (Contributor), Cole Becher (Contributor), Lucie Brock-Broido (Contributor), Jeffrey Cranor (Contributor), Kyle G. Dargan (Contributor)30 more, Kathryn Davis (Contributor), Janine di Giovanni (Contributor), Matthew Dickman (Contributor), Yasmine El Rashidi (Contributor), Joseph Fink (Contributor), V.V. Ganeshananthan (Contributor), Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah (Contributor), A.T. Grant (Contributor), Gabriel Heller (Contributor), Adam Johnson (Contributor), Lally Katz (Contributor), Dan Keane (Contributor), Ali Liebegott (Contributor), Karen Maner (Contributor), Luke Mogelson (Contributor), Maia Morgan (Contributor), Roman Muradov (Cover artist), Anders Nilsen (Contributor), Sylvan Oswald (Contributor), Amos Oz (Contributor), Thomas Pierce (Contributor), Nathaniel Rich (Contributor), Rebecca Rukeyser (Contributor), Yumi Sakugawa (Contributor), Matthew Schultz (Contributor), Zadie Smith (Contributor), Lemony Snicket (Introduction), Nick Sturm (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Reggie Watts (Contributor)

Series: The Best American Nonrequired Reading (2014), Best American (2014)

Oh dear. A new editor and they've gone and removed my favorite part of the book. Not a great sign. But Nathaniel Rich's "The Man Who Saves You from Yourself" was a good read, at least. ( )
  JBD1 | Jul 29, 2017 |
Being a collection of various styles made it tough for me to enjoy this completely. I suppose each of the "Best American" collections has some pieces that I skip, don't finish, or read through and wonder why I did. This one had a few more of those than usual. I did not enjoy most of the chapbook works. I make no claim to being a fan of poetry, and the chapbook entries didn't make me any more of one.

In any case, I'm glad these writers, and the student reviewers, are doing what they enjoy and wish them success. ( )
  sbluerock | Nov 5, 2016 |
There were a ton of absolutely amazing pieces in here about all manner of things from the person who gets you out of a cult to articles on Dave Chappelle, to a podcast transcript and some amazing graphic novel pieces. I think my biggest issue ended up being the poetry. So many times the poetry was right after a really strong heavy moving piece and it was just very difficult to switch gears. One thing that this did make me think about is whether we, as a culture, just don't find humor important. There were almost no pieces that were only funny. If this is the best shouldn't there be at least one funny something in here? Do we as a society not think that humor can be the best? Just something to think about. ( )

Handler, DanielEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sturm, NickContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swirsky, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watts, ReggieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

“Lively, eclectic and surprising.” — Minneapolis Star Tribune

Daniel Handler, aka Lemony Snicket, author of the enormously popular young adult series A Series of Unfortunate Events, takes over as editor for this volume. He will work with the students of 826 Valencia and 826 Michigan writing labs to compile new fiction, nonfiction, poetry, comics, and other category-defying gems, ensuring that “if you need to fall in love with reading again — or just want a reminder that high school students deserve a lot more than their reading lists give them — then this is the book for you” (Bust).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

Literature from mainstream and alternative American periodicals, including fiction, nonfiction, screenplays, television writing, and alternative comics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,367,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible