An Innocent Abroad: Life-Changing Trips from…

by John Berendt (Author)

Member:gregvogl
Title:An Innocent Abroad: Life-Changing Trips from 35 Great Writers (Lonely Planet Travel Literature)
Authors:John Berendt (Author)
Info:Lonely Planet (2014), Edition: 1, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:travel

An Innocent Abroad: Life-Changing Trips from 35 Great Writers (Lonely Planet Travel Literature) by Don George (Editor)

Recently added byprivate library, erthom02, nancj, drword, e-zReader, sherylrhayes, Stertz, wheeler715

This collection of travel essays encompasses a broad spectrum of experiences. Some are stories of traveling abroad for the very first time. Others are tales of people who have traveled many times in the past but who have come upon a unique experience that made them grow. This is a great read for lovers of travelogues and anyone who wishes to dip their toes into the world of travel essays. ( )
  Jessiqa | Dec 26, 2017 |
Brenda's Review - I really enjoyed this book. I think it’s a great one a long trip on an airplane or if you are in the mood for short stories. In this book all your favorite authors like Alexander McCall Smith, Virginia Abbott, Cheryl Strayed and even David Eggers writes about their life changing trips. This is also a fun way to get to know some new authors. There are 35 stories total all by different authors. ( )
  konastories | Mar 17, 2016 |
An Innocent Abroad is an enjoyable little compilation of thirty-five writers’ travel experiences that had significant impact on them – through greater understanding of themselves, of others or of the world around them. As might be expected, not all of the short essays – they average about 8 pages apiece – are equally compelling, but there are enough interesting ones to keep your attention, and the less interesting ones are short enough to not be objectionable. After reading the introduction, I was afraid that they all were going to be variations on “I was young, in Paris, and in love,” but I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of experiences that the writers relate. They range from jumping off a high cliff into stormy seas in Australia to an experience with a tarantula in the jungles of Guatemala and “David Baldacci Day” in a small town in Italy. These vignettes of travel experiences all over the world make for a pleasant few hours of reading. ( )
3 vote TommyB | Jan 8, 2015 |
I read An Innocent Abroad the week I was home sick and couldn’t digest anything more taxing than a few short stories at a time; it was just what the doctor ordered, and by the time I finished reading this book I was back on my feet, refreshed in my mind and wanting to travel. These 35 stories that changed each author, brought back memories of when I was an innocent broad, okay I know that’s not the title couldn’t resist the joke. Still the memory of my own life changing journey, at 22, with a man I’d only known for 3 days before flying to Mexico with him, only later to discover that his name was an alias and he smuggled drugs to finance his travels: took my innocence and would fit comfortably between these pages. Now, as for this book, it contains many gems that will appeal to a wide variety of readers: some stories will make you laugh, some will give you that ah ha moment, some will make you cringe and say no way, but each will leave you wanting more—more travel, more adventure and a little more insight into the places you may think you know. Buy this for yourself or pass this on to a fellow traveler it’s a 5 star gift from some gifted writers. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Dec 30, 2014 |

Patchett, AnnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smiley, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Alexander McCallContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strayed, CherylContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Including contributions from Dave Eggers, Pico Iyer, Richard Ford and Jane Smiley, more than 20 well-known writers share the travel experiences that shaped their personalities and changed their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,845,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible