The Tumble Inn (New York State Series) by…

The Tumble Inn (New York State Series)

by William Loizeaux

This book was good but sad. I tried it as I am from NY. The Inn seemed like it should have been set in Alaska -- there is just no wilderness anymore in NY. You can get away from it all by staying in an inn or camping, but it is not as wild as the book portrays. I do think that in an usual ice storm you can get stranded and many have -- they are just not events that occur often. I would not want to be an innkeeper, but I thought this book might want to delve into this a bit more. I felt like I did not know the characters well. It was a short book. I am hesitant to say this should be longer -- it just needed more detail so that I would connect to characters. ( )
  honkcronk | Aug 19, 2017 |
Mark and Fran Finley are school teachers in suburban New Jersey. They are burned out on their jobs and on their attempt to have a baby. Fran decides that they need a change of scenery and applies for a job as inn keepers at the Tumble in the Adirondack Mountains, even though neither of them have experience as innkeepers. This is a story of learning and growth. They make lots of mistakes but along the way, they make a lot of friends and learn to do things right. They have a baby and they experience the highs and lows of life. The book made me laugh out loud and it made me cry. I thought that the author did a fantastic job in making his characters realistic and I thought that the story was a wonderful story of the growth of life and love. ( )
  susan0316 | Sep 28, 2014 |
Mark and Fran Finley were both teachers and taught in the same school. They had been married for a few years and had so far had no luck in having children. They were trying...maybe to hard... to change that and it was straining their marriage. Fran thought that a change of scenery might be just what they needed. So when she found an advertisement for a couple for positions as Inn Keepers she sold Mark on the idea. They interviewed for the jobs and even with their lack of experience they were hired immediately. And so he adventure begins.
I enjoyed learning about their struggles and eventual success in bearing a child and, of course, running the Inn. The book is well written, with an interesting (and sometimes sad) story line. I found it an easy read that pulled at my heart strings more than once.
**Good Reads win ( )
  bettysunflower | Sep 12, 2014 |

Tired of their high school teaching jobs and discouraged by their failed attempts at conceiving a child, Mark and Fran Finley decide they need a change in their lives. Abruptly, they leave their friends and family in suburban New Jersey to begin anew as innkeepers on a secluded lake in the Adirondack Mountains. There they muddle through their first season at the inn, serving barely edible dinners to guests, stranding themselves in chest-deep snowdrifts, and somehow, miraculously, amid swarms of ravenous black flies, conceiving a child, a girl they name Nat. Years later, when Mark and Fran are nearing middle age and Nat is a troubled teenager, Mark’s life is ripped apart, forever changed, and he must choose between returning to his old home in New Jersey or trying to rebuild what is left of his life and family in the place of his greatest joy and deepest sorrow. The Tumble Inn is a moving drama about home and about the fragility and resilience of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

Tired of their high school teaching jobs and discouraged by their failed attempts at conceiving a child, Mark and Fran Finley decide they need a change in their lives. Abruptly, they leave their friends and family in suburban New Jersey to begin anew as innkeepers on a secluded lake in the Adirondack Mountains. There they muddle through their first season at the inn, serving barely edible dinners to guests, stranding themselves in chest-deep snowdrifts, and somehow, miraculously, amid swarms of ravenous black flies, conceiving a child, a girl they name Nat. Years later, when Mark and Fran are nearing middle age and Nat is a troubled teenager, Mark's life is ripped apart, forever changed, and he must choose between returning to his old home in New Jersey or trying to rebuild what is left of his life and family in the place of his greatest joy and deepest sorrow. The Tumble Inn is a moving drama about home and about the fragility and resilience of love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,247,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible