Friday Barnes, Girl Detective by R. A.…

Friday Barnes, Girl Detective

by R. A. Spratt, Phil Gosier (Illustrator)

Friday Barnes uses reward money she receives from solving a crime for tuition at a boarding school. Friday is a hoot. She is analytical but lacks in social niceties. She falls in with a great roommate. Her approach to the 'mean' girls is quite funny. The plot involves one big mystery with several 'mini' mysteries. ( )
  geraldinefm | May 12, 2017 |
smart girl, interesting book. ( )
  ChloeLaird | Nov 28, 2016 |
In the beggining of the book friday barnes goes to a new hight tech school and everyone is making fun of her because she is the new kid. I also likes it because i like mysterious and funny books. In the middle of the book i talked about how she was trying to solve a mystery about things that go missing. At the end of the book Friday gets blamed for the whole mystery thing and the police take her in. I really liked this book because insted of having a boy person it was all about a girl and there is alot of books in the seris. ( )
  raynaj.b1 | Oct 27, 2016 |
This was another great recommendation from my dad! Friday Barnes is a brilliant young detective who has enrolled herself in an exclusive private school, thanks to the reward money she received from solving a diamond heist.

Friday may not understand making friends, or boys, but she understands perfectly well how to go about solving a mystery. Over the course of the book, she solves quite a few small cases, building up to discovering the truth behind the swamp man sightings behind the school.

Friday is absolutely the kind of character you want to spend more time with. I already added the next two books in the series to my wishlist! ( )
  seasonsoflove | Oct 23, 2016 |
This was a lot of fun! Though I’m nowhere near as well-read, knowledgeable, or socially awkward as Friday, she reminds me enough of me at that age. My eight-year-old daughter is just at the young end of the age range for this book, though certainly at the right reading level. Like Friday, she is the family surprise baby; unlike Friday, we pay lots of attention to her! In a few months, I am definitely going to introduce her to Friday!

Admittedly, some of the situations are a bit outlandish, but that’s part of the fun. It’s no more outlandish than, say, Pippi Longstocking, and less so than A Series of Unfortunate Events.

There are many sly references tucked in for the adults, as well. I am four times the top of the suggested age range, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maybe it’s also because I’m a teacher, so some of the descriptions of teachers at Friday’s boarding school were quite amusing to me.

Friday solves many small mysteries on the way to the biggest mystery—the Swamp Yeti. The pacing in this book is perfect, with lots of action, and just enough rests to make the action fun rather than annoying. It’s also well-edited—yay!—and the descriptive passages are easy to visualize.

Also good to note is that Friday develops emotional depth as the book progresses. Her character is allowed to be vulnerable and open to new friendships, and even to develop a crush (without it being sappy).

Possible Objectionable Material:

Mild violence. Crime. Kids sneaking out at night and disrespecting authority. Dishonesty.

Who Would Like this Book:

The suggested age range is a good start. The 1050 Lexile means it might be challenging for the lower end of that range. There is a girl on the cover, but boys shouldn’t be afraid of this book; Friday’s adventures and emotions transfer well, and there are plenty of male characters too. Kids who enjoy solving mysteries in the Encyclopedia Brown vein will probably like this one.

Thank you, NetGalley, for a fun read! ( )
  swingdancefan | Jan 19, 2016 |

R. A. Sprattprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phil GosierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Imagine if Sherlock Holmes was an eleven-year-old girl!

When girl detective Friday Barnes solves a bank robbery she uses the reward money to send herself to the most exclusive boarding school in the country, Highcrest Academy.

On arrival, Friday is shocked to discover the respectable school is actually a hotbed of crime. She's soon investigating everything from disappearing homework to the Yeti running around the school swamp. That's when she's not dealing with her own problem – Ian Wainscott, the handsomest boy in school, who inexplicably hates Friday and loves nasty pranks.

Can Friday solve Highcrest Academy's many strange mysteries, including the biggest mystery of all – what's the point of high school?

"A genius girl detective discovers her ultra exclusive boarding school is a hotbed of crime, from missing homework and stolen lemon tarts to a mysterious yeti haunting the school swamp"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,571,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible