Blue Midnight (Blue Mountain Book 1) by Tess…

Blue Midnight (Blue Mountain Book 1)

by Tess Thompson

Blue Midnight by Tess Thompson
Book #1: Blue Mountain Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Blythe Heywood is a broken woman. After more than fifteen years of marriage, her husband has left her for a younger woman and she hasn’t yet figured out how to once again live her life. Though her daughter’s bring her a great deal of joy, her new divorced reality sees to it the girls aren’t always with her. In those moments (and sometimes in the shower) Blythe breaks down and desperately tries to understand how she got to this new reality in the first place.

Finn Lanigan once offered Blythe a different life and a different path but she chose instead the path she thought would bring her safety and security, a life very unlike the one her mother provided when she and her younger sister, Bliss were children. When that life turned out to be her very undoing, Blythe, with a more than a bit of encouragement from Bliss decides to spend her three week “vacation” in Peregrine, Idaho looking for the path she didn’t take.

Peregrine, Idaho isn’t just a small town, it’s a microscopic town so finding shouldn’t be that hard to do. Asking questions in a small town makes the native’s restless and it doesn’t take long for Blythe to realize she has opened an old wound. According to the official report, three years ago Finn Lanigan died in a car wreck as he was leaving town with his sister-in-law. The Finn Blythe knew never would have tread on another man’s marriage so the only thing to do is keep asking questions and the place to start is the Lanigan property.

Kevan Lanigan has spent the last three years trying to deal with the fact that his wife was leaving town with his brother. With an angry teenage daughter and no explanations for her, Kevan is barely hanging on as it is. When Blythe walks into his life and begins asking questions about the day his world fell apart, Kevan is not just blown away by her presence but also by the questions she is asking. In just a few short days, Blythe and Kevan not only discover there is more to Finn’s story than (almost) everyone knows and they discover a beautiful attraction to one another.

The Bottom Line: Tess Thompson opens the Blue Mountain series with a touching love story wrapped in a little bit of mystery. Blythe and her girls are three instantly likeable characters, the town of Peregrine is so quirky and odd that it’s hard not to love, and Kevan Lanigan is every woman’s dream come true. Thompson brings together two characters in Blythe and Kevan who need to be healed, helped, and loved. Both have a hard past to overcome but with one another, they are certainly on the path to a HEA. Thompson really takes her time building her characters (especially Blythe) so once the story begins to pick up the pace at about the halfway mark, you are invested in the characters and want to know how their story is going to end. This is a slow burn kind of read with the pace and plot moving slowly and steadily toward the climactic end. The mystery of this read is just enough to balance out the romance and each (the mystery and the romance) informs the other. There is a whole host of secondary characters in this read, including Blythe’s sister Bliss, her two daughters, Kevan’s siblings, and his daughter who are not only interesting and entertaining but also proof that the series is meant to move forward for quite some time. Thompson has given herself ample material to work with and I for one am going to be signing myself up for more of the Blue Mountain series. ( )
  arthistorychick | Sep 4, 2015 |
Gah. I had the hardest time picking stars. I think it's ultimately 3.75, so i rounded up. So, full disclosure, I'm more forgiving of books where the heroine is a recently divorced middle aged woman who has lost herself and trying to find herself again. It resonates. We are not the most logical/rational of creatures. So lots of forgiveness. In this book, Blythe is 45 and dealing with the 3 week absence of her little girls while they are with their dad on his honeymoon with the new ridiculously young for him wife. Right before she married, Blythe had an emotional affair with a man she met over a long weekend--she magically still has his number and decides to search him down in the tiny town she knows he lives in during the summer.

Adventure and romances ensues--not at all the way you think it's going to go. Which is nice. There's some WTFery with a mystery that the second half of the book focuses on--up to and including being held at gun point and other "strange prickles on the back of your neck." Lots of those prickles--if you're not into even light paranormal, you won't like that.

Why I didn't give this less stars: I love her pushy sister. I love the characterization of her admitting that she is nothing more than a mom (not to sound derogatory--I'm a mom and it's a fucking hard job, but you can't become only a mom). That she needs more in her life. And her honest look back over time at her ex's control freak nature making her world smaller--but her willingness to climb into that box and let it define her. All good stuff. Rang true etc.

What I didn't like: I can buy the magical/mystical accidental meeting and chemistry. Fine. I have a much harder time with instant love and family making over a week's time. No. Just no. The teenage daughter doesn't like her and treat her like mommy virtually instantly. Moonstone? Really? We could have done without.

Overall, it was good. And I'd read another, but I'd be strapped in ready for some WTFery along the way. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
After forty-five year old Blythe Heywood's thirteen year marriage ends in divorce when her husband leaves her for a younger woman, she is left devastated and uncertain of what to do next with her life. While packing up the remainder of her belongings from the marital home that was sold, Blythe finds a scrap of paper stuck in the back of her bedside table. The paper takes Blythe back to the past ... thirteen years ... when she traveled a month before her wedding to Peregrine, Idaho to attend the Sun Valley Folk Music Festival. While at the festival Blythe met thirty-six year old Finn Lanigan, and spent a three-day weekend with him. While the affair was innocent, they only shared a few kisses, there was something between them, a connection that Blythe never felt before or since, but Finn was her road not taken, and when their shared weekend came to an end, Blythe returned home to honor her commitment to marry Michael Graham. But Finn's last words stayed with her all these years ... "if you change your mind, here's this..." a note with his name and number, and one last kiss under an Idaho star-filled night ... When Michael remarries and takes their two children on his honeymoon to Hawaii for three weeks, Blythe's sister Bliss convinces her to take a road trip back to Peregrine, to that road not taken, and find Flinn. Blythe's road trip to Peregrine will be a journey of self-discovery that will change her life and even bring a second chance at love.

Blue Midnight is a wonderful story of self-discovery and second chances. Author Tess Thompson weaves a magical tale of romance with a mixture of mysticism, mystery and suspense that easily draws the reader into Blythe Heywood's story. Set in Seattle, Washington and Peregrine, Idaho, the reader follows Blythe on her emotional journey back to the road not taken, a journey of self-discovery and unexpected second chances that will change her life.

I love author Tess Thompson's smooth flowing style of storytelling. She easily draws the reader in as she weaves a spellbinding tale of romance with a touch of mystery and suspense. As this complex and multi-layered story unfolds with elements of lost love, disappointment, betrayal, heartbreak, family drama, secrets, loss, forgiveness, and unexpected second chances, the reader is swept away with the raw emotions, drama, and intriguing twists and that will keep them captivated and turning the pages.

Blue Midnight is a captivating story of taking an emotional journey back to the road not taken and truly finding oneself.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2014/08/blue-midnight-by-tess-thompson... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Aug 29, 2014 |
Blue Midnight by Tess Thompson is 2014 publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This novel had me from the the first page. I thought this book was in the Women's Fiction category and
it starts off with that kind of format, but it keeps changing as you continue reading. Blythe is in her mid forties, divorced, has two young daughters, and is trying to get her life back in order and discover what path she will take now that she is single again. Enter Blythe's younger sister, Bliss. Yes, they have a hippie mother, which explains the names. Blythe's ex-husband is getting remarried and wants to take their daughters on the honeymoon with him and his new wife. Blythe will have three weeks to herself and Bliss decides it's time she took a vacation. She gets the idea to arrange a stay in Idaho based on the story Blythe tells her about meeting a man named Finn a short time before her marriage. She happened to find Finn's phone number and she is thinking about looking him up. Bliss pushes her in that direction, and from that point on this book takes off in an entirely different direction.

Once Blythe arrives in Idaho, she meets a women that runs the inn she is staying at, and is told the woman is a witch, well more of a psychic. Then Blythe meets a man in a bar and they kind of hit it off, but then when Blythe starts asking around about Finn, she discovers a sordid tale of possible adultery, murders, and a family that was torn apart and has never found it's footing again. Before long Blythe is emotionally invested in Kevan, Finn's brother, and his daughter and their family drama. There are vivid dreams, and paranormal encounters that help Blythe uncover a deeply buried family secret. But, is Kevan a man she can trust?

The connection between Blythe and Finn all those years ago remained in tact. That connection , no matter how implausible will bring Blythe face to face with her destiny. For the first time in her life, Blythe has the boldness that eluded her for the past thirteen years. She speaks her mind and takes charge in situations where as before she just did things the way her husband wanted them, and that included giving up her career as a photographer. Now Blythe is determined to discover the truth about Finn and Kevan before she goes back home. I loved watching this transformation in Blythe. She was feeling down about herself, depressed about her age, the toll the divorce took on her children, and she was nervous about the future. She finds her new found bravado gives her a new confidence in herself and despite the astronomical odds that a connection so strong from so long ago would lead her to this time and to this place, Blythe jumps in with both feet and finds she is where she should have been all along. Things didn't turn out the way they should have all those years ago, but happiness and peace has been a long time coming for Kevan and Blythe . The two of them will discover the long buried secret that was tearing at a family and with that knowledge that are now free from the past, both Kevan's and Blythe's and will now be able to forge a much happier future for one another and for their respective families.

This story has a touch of whimsy,, a paranormal tone, which is really sweet, a romantic suspense edge, and will appeal to those who enjoy contemporary fiction and women's fiction. The importance of trust is a theme woven into the story and demonstrates how the lack of trust can destroy and eat at a good relationship. Both Blythe and Kevan will have to take a big chance with one another and having faith along with trust is what will give them the strength to move forward. Once I started reading this book I didn't put it down until I was finished. I was not familiar with this author before reading this book, but I am certainly going to try out more of her books! 4.5 round to 5 ( )
  gpangel | Aug 17, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,304,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible