The Ferryman by Amy Neftzger

The Ferryman

by Amy Neftzger

Other authors: Jill V. Wronski (Editor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reading this was like walking through mud for me. I didn't hate it but man it was a chore to finish. It had a rather juvenile feel to it and the story I felt needed way more fleshing out. The ending especially left me with a bad after taste. Such hope I had for this book. Sadly it didn't meet my expections but that doesn't mean it didn't for others. This book and me were just not a match.
  justablondemoment | Feb 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This one's a little awkward for me to review. I got it as a freebie through LT's Early Reviewers program, but when the book arrived, it was missing the first six pages. I contacted LT, who contacted the publisher, and I was assured I'd be sent a replacement copy, but it never came. So, many months later, I finally figured I'd just read and review what I had.

Fortunately for me, it's not difficult to figure out what happens in those first few pages. Our hero, a woman named Karen (like "Charon," get it?) is in need of cash, so she turns to graverobbing. As one does. And when she removes the coins from a corpse's eyes, thus accepting the traditional fee tendered to the ferryman for the transportation of the dead, she finds herself unwillingly locked into a contract with Fate (or an anthropomorphic personification thereof) as a conveyer of souls to the afterlife, a job that seems to consist entirely of talking lingering ghosts into making their way onward.

It's a really good premise, with a couple of clever touches to it. Unfortunately, it fails in the execution, mainly because the writing is just not very good. Although this is definitely aimed at adults, the style feels like it belongs in a children's book. And, while "show, don't tell" is a piece of writing advice that's often misinterpreted or misapplied, this book is full of examples of the exact kind of thing that adage is meant to warn against: lots of passages where we get a summary of a ghost's backstory or a catalog of emotions our protagonist is feeling, related in a way that's completely unengaging and flat. Plus, the story as whole is so slight it could blow away in a stiff breeze, and it finishes rather abruptly with a pat, unsatisfying ending. Well, at least it's short; the fact that you could easily zip through it in one sitting means it doesn't have the chance to get too tedious.

Rating: 2/5, with the acknowledgement that not getting to start at the beginning, and my irritation at the publisher over this fact, may have predisposed me against it a bit. Although I really don't think those missing pages would have made much of a difference. ( )
3 vote bragan | Jan 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Absolutely enchanting book about how a woman gets stuck with the job of helping souls crossover to the next level of the afterlife. I thought it was neat that the author included black and white photos of graveyards and sculptures reflecting the situations in each storyline. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a paranormal ghost story with lessons on life and change. Overall 5 stars. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Dec 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was not impressed with Amy Neftzger’s The Ferryman at all. I felt that the book should have been a lot longer to allow a much more gradual introduction to the plot device and concept. You have a main character who is a grave robber in the present time, to leap in and just assume we are on board with this career decision in the modern day was not believable. A longer book would have allowed her to give us a better back story that would explain this, but instead it felt contrived and took away from the story. ( )
  erikschreppel | Dec 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book had a great plot and I really looked forward to seeing what the author did with it. I am sorry to say that although the storyline was promising, the writing left much to be desired. I found it to be rough, stilted in places and well, just awkward and sophomoric for the most part. One example of the bad writing: The hot summer sun was baking the waste into a bacteria-laden mess with a scent more sour and rancid than the average politician's soul, Karen thought. (that is an actual sentence... really)

While I do think that the story has a tremendous amount of potential, it is just too badly written to recommend to anyone... unless you'd like a few examples of how not to construct a sentence.

Thank you to librarything for the advance readers copy. I guess they can't all be winners. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Dec 3, 2014 |

Amy Neftzgerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wronski, Jill V.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Neftzger's book The Ferryman was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Amy Neftzger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible