Unborn (Unborn Series) by Amber Lynn Natusch

Unborn (Unborn Series)

by Amber Lynn Natusch

426273,462 (3)None

I absoultely LOVED this book! The dialogue was intriguing, the mystery was enticing and it was just wonderful overall. I was mesmerized by the dialogue!!! I loved the non modern speech and dialect. It's been forever since I've been so in love with a book! Though I must say the plot was a little...lacking. There really wasn't much of a plot, at least now one that I could follow. It took me about halfway through the book to realize this though given that I was just so in love with the dialogue. The way Khara speaks really emphasizes where she has spent her time. THere's no crude slang in this which I appreciated on levels I didn't know I would!I can't wait for the next installment!!! I would love to learn more about Ozereus and his past!! I'm sooo hooked on him and Khara! I LOVE her snarkness!! Even though she really didn't have any PC abilities to start, she never backed down. I loved the fact that she never once backed down or ran away from a fight. She never took the cowards way out. NOw THAT is a heroine worth rooting for! ( )
  Shiinale | Jul 7, 2017 |
Interesting storyline and character development. Good plot and suspense of the unknown. Captivating book. Only gripe I have is the freaking cliffhanger ending. Aaarrrggghhhh ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book, I did. I have this thing about women born into power, no matter if that power be good or bad. I’m crazy for books that contrast all things Heaven and all evil Hell. I passed this book several times on NetGalley, each time I paused and thought “hmm”, because I was interested. I wish I had kept moving. I’ll never get back those hours I spent reading.

Read the rest of this review at http://wordgurgle.blogspot.com

Hope.Sloper | Apr 24, 2015 |
I was incredibly and pleasantly (surprised) autopsied by this novel. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of things that leave the reader wanting more (and not in a good way), but overall it was well thought out.

There is a prevalent element of mythology in this novel. Aspects of Greek mythology like the Underworld, Hades, Ares, and other (demi-)godly players are rampant throughout the story. But, it's combined with the (fallen) angels and heaven of religious mythology and stories. It's a strange combination that doesn't lend itself to logical commingling, although it worked relatively well here. Perhaps I'm just biased because I adore the mythology in all cultures.

My highest praise for this novel is the writing quality, not the characters, world, or plot - just the simple allure of a book that's written in proper, intelligent English. A surprising rarity in Y.A. books. The author has a wonderful command of the English language and uses vocabulary that make a reader wonder, "What does that mean?" I love books that will chose to use words strode or sauntered, rather than another banal alternative when expressing how someone made their way down the street. You want them to reference a thesaurus to make their lexicon as diverse as possible. No one wants to hear, he said, she said, they said over and over. Perhaps they shouted, or she bit back her words? Anything to give the story real depth and reality.

The shortcomings? Character development and world building. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly there but not as well thought out as it should have been. Relationships were crafted much more quickly than reasonably could be expected and it created a sense of falseness. If more attention had been given to those two aspects, it would have been a strong 4-star rating (rather than my 3/4 rating.)

Another trait of a good story, be it in a book, movie, tv show, or something else is lack of predictability. If you can guess what it going to happen in the story from just the first 50 pages, than it seems less appealing to continue. On this account, the author both confirmed my suspicions and utterly surprised me. Not long into my reading, I was jotting down notes and thoughts as I felt a situation professing. I wanted to have quotes, events, and feelings to reference later - especially if my expectations were fulfilled. The end of the book on the other hand - completely unexpected.

The ending of the novel certainly set up the next book, leading me to believe this is meant to be a series. As such, I think it would benefit greatly from the eventual addition of novellas. They would help strengthen the characters, world, and events that are alluded to during the story but never revealed in their entirety. Don't read this part if you don't want small spoilers, but some of the story lines that I felt were lacking were: Khara's time in the Underworld and with Hades, how Ozereus fell, how Kierson was saved by Oz, a tale of the brother's rounds including some of the supernatural beings they encounter, and even mini-stories that help develop the character's personalities. ( )
  kyeralynn | Sep 27, 2014 |
I was very pleasantly surprised with this dark, gritty story. The first few chapters were disjointed and I felt like I do when I walk in on a movie that started 10 minutes ago. There were also a plethora of annoyingly boorish alpha males that left me wanting to role my eyes. A few more chapters in and I was starting to get really interested in the story. Things turned around quickly and I ended up being totally immersed in what was happening and I finished the book in one sitting. While I still think the characters could have been fleshed out better, the story itself really pulled me in, but I don't want to give anything away. If the second book was out I would be buying and reading it asap. I do hope that we get to know the characters better in the next novels because there are many things that are left unexplained. ( )
  CinderH | Sep 27, 2014 |

Born into mystery. Shackled to darkness....

Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld―except her place in it. But when she's ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city. Khara needs their help to unravel the tangled secrets of who and what she is—secrets many seem willing to kill for. But time is running out, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer necessity binds her to an arrogant fallen angel.

Can their shaky alliance withstand that which threatens her, or will her soul fall victim to the unholy forces that hunt her―those that seek the Unborn?

Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld-- except her place in it. But when she's ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city. Khara needs their help to unravel the tangled secrets of who and what she is-- secrets many seem willing to kill for. But time is running out, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer necessity binds her to an arrogant fallen angel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible