Blood Assassin (The Sentinels) by Alexandra…

Blood Assassin (The Sentinels)

by Alexandra Ivy

*Book source ~ NetGalley

Fane is a muscled warrior, a guardian Sentinel and now that his decade long protection of Callie is over he’s decided to leave Valhalla and go back to the monastery to train new Sentinels. But Serra, the powerful and sassy psychic, has been in love with him for years and she doesn’t want him to go. Except she can’t change his mind. It’s only when she’s kidnapped that Fane comes to his senses. But is he too late?

Action, intrigue, mystery, steaminess, and great characters, this paranormal romance has it all. There are good guys, bad guys, an ambiguous guy, badasses and strong women. Fane is too alpha for my personal tastes, but that’s really my only complaint. This is an excellent story that kept me turning the pages as long as real life didn’t interfere. I’m enjoying this series so far and looking forward to more. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 17, 2016 |
They've made no secret of their feelings and desires for one another but the hero is determined to deny himself happiness and allow the heroine to find happiness with someone more worthy. But when the heroine is kidnapped the hero doesn't hesitate to go after her. He finds her under the spell of an outcast high-born in a bid for her to track down his kidnapped daughter. The villain has poisoned the heroine and she only has 96 hours to find the girl or she'll die. Almost instantly the hero's vow to keep his distance is shattered and without much of a fight. I didn't really like how easy it was for him to suddenly forget all his reasons for denying her and immediately claim her as his woman. The heroine didn't much believe it either which saved the believability of the whole thing a bit. She doesn't trust his complete 360 regarding their relationship but that doesn't stop her from sleeping with him. Don't get me wrong the characters had mad chemistry and I loved them together. The hero is a total bad ass who is a silent but deadly warrior. The heroine is a juicy, self sufficient and powerful psychic. Together they do make the perfect pair and balance each other's personalities well. I found myself board pretty quickly however with the lack of development to their relationship after sleeping together the fist time. They went from distant tortured but fated lovers to instantly bonding and being all over each other. I would have liked to see a more steadier build up as I feel it would have created tension and made the affair more interesting. I wasn't engaged in the sub plot of them searching for the missing girl and I hated the villain. Not because he was a villain but because-though he's a powerful witch- he came across a slimy grease ball who cared more about getting into the heroines pants at times then the welfare of his daughter. I liked this book but defiantly not as much as the first in the series. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I got this book from the public library and have received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

It's getting hot in here and yes clothes definitely were coming off. But I regress.

First I want to say that I like the main characters' names - Serra and Fane.

The fact that they both knew how to take care of business and handle themselves in a fight was great. The romance and heat between the pair has been building for a while now and when we get to read their story in this book, let's just say fireworks have nothing on the sparks and inferno of this pairing.

The strengths of both complement and help fill the weaknesses in each other. I read this book in one sitting and would do so again, any time.

Would I recommend this? Yes! Tall, dark, smoldering and a warrior....checklist complete. ( )
  kishazworld | Nov 29, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A little girl has been kidnapped, and Serra has been tasked to find her. Did I mention the girl’s father poisoned Serra to ensure her cooperation? Yeah, this is going to be a little complicated…

Opening Sentence: One glance into the private gym would send most humans fleeing in humiliation.

The Review:

For 20 years, Fane has wanted Serra. He didn’t want his feelings to get in the way of his duty to protect his charge though, so he never let her know how he felt. For 20 years, Serra has wanted Fane and finds herself growing increasingly frustrated with his continued avoidance. Then one day, Serra disappears from her home, and Fane is determined to find her. When he does, he discovers she’s been abducted by a Sentinel assassin whose daughter has gone missing, and he needs to use Serra’s telepathic gifts to find her. Instead of just asking politely though, Bas – the assassin – injected her with a poison that only he has the antidote to, so she has no choice but to help him. Fane swears he won’t let her out of his sight until he knows that she is safe. Being in such close quarters day after day makes it harder for either of them to ignore their feelings. Will they be able to find the daughter before it’s too late, or are they destined to lose each other right when they’re finally willing to give love a chance?

This is the first book I’ve ever read by Alexandra Ivy, so I had no idea what to expect. There’s a nice definition of the Sentinels at the beginning, so I never felt lost due to not having read the first book in the series. I was surprised to find myself competely swept away as early as the first chapter. There is something about Ivy’s writing style that just sucked me in. My interest never waned, and I found myself staying up late to finish it, something that doesn’t happen often.

I’m not usually a fan of stories where the hero and heroine already have feelings for each other because it often makes the romance feel too hurried. That is not the case here. There is some wonderful tension between Fane and Serra up until the time they finally give in to their feelings. And when that happens, their chemistry just sizzles and lights up the pages.

Throughout the book, we get a few different points of view, including that of Bas. Ivy does a fantastic job of making you like Bas despite many reasons not to. I love it when a book makes you like the “bad” guy, so this just made the book even better for me.

Overall, this book was a fun ride with great characters. It immediately hooked me, and it’s gotten me very interested in reading more of Alexandra Ivy’s work, starting with the first book in this series. I have a feeling I’m not going to be disappointed!

Notable Scene:

Bas was walking away, when Fane stepped forward. “Wait.”

The assassin muttered a curse as he turned back to glare at Fane. “What?”

“You’re going to meet the leader of a drug cartel alone?”

“How sweet.” He flashed a mocking smile. “Don’t tell me you care?”

“If you die the toxin remains in Serra.”

“True.” Bas shrugged. “I die, she dies.”

Serra’s breath caught at his sheer callousness.

Fane was a little more…demonstrative in his reaction.

With three strides he was directly in front of the assassin, his hand once again around his throat.

“Then you don’t do anything that puts you in danger.”

“You’re not giving the orders here, Sentinel,” Bas growled, his eyes narrowing as Fane squeezed his fingers. “Christ. Kaede is waiting for me. It would look odd if I didn’t have some muscle with me.”

Fane slowly released his grip, indifferent to the slender stiletto Bas held in his hand. Serra didn’t know where it had come from, but she didn’t doubt for a second that the assassin knew how to use it.

She moved to stand next to Fane, lightly touching his arm as his gaze remained trained on the other male. It seemed they were destined to be driven to the brink of insanity by Bas Cavrilo.

Thankfully they were together to pull each other back from the edge.

“What excuse did you use to call the meeting?” she asked Bas, more for a distraction than any interest in his meeting.

Bas gave a twist of his hand and the stiletto disappeared. “To warn the cartel there’s a powerful psychic and her Sentinel in town,” he said, his composure perfectly restored. “No criminal wants to accidentally cross paths with someone who can peek into their thoughts. I share the info and he’s in my debt.”

“Debt I suppose is another weapon?”

He sent her a mocking smile. “You begin to know me so well, lovely Serra.”

Fane planted his fists on his hips. “Go. Away.”

FTC Advisory: Kensington/Zebra provided me with a copy of Blood Assassin. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Aug 6, 2015 |
Blood Assassin (The Sentinels #2) by Alexandra Ivy

Fane is one of the most feared and respected Sentinel. He has been struggling since being separated from his charge, Callie Brown, and request to be reassigned to the monastery. His plans change when the one woman who stirs his emotions, Serra Vetrov, is abducted.

I enjoyed Fane in Book 1, Born in Blood, and was thrilled that Alexandra Ivy wrote his story. He is an impressive character that deserves attention. I appreciated learning more about him.

I like that Serra is confident and strong. Being a psychic and telepath, her gifts are considered valuable. She has a good heart and wants to defend those that need her help, especially children.

I also enjoyed our antagonist, Bas. He is a very interesting character that I was never quite sure how I felt about. He has a lot of depth and shades of grey.

The plot was creative and full of detail. The character development is impeccable. The Epilogue was fantastic and can’t wait to see where it leads. I really enjoy the Sentinel series it is a refreshing take in the paranormal realm.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Feb 25, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible