The Master by Kresley Cole

The Master (2015)

by Kresley Cole

Definitly the best book of the triology. It has some Pretty Woman feeling to it. Strong girl in a bad situation, who can't believe her luck.
Writing the ex-husband POV for a bit might have given an extra depth, but I think it's not Kresley Cole's style. In fact I missed the voice of the male protagonists voices in all three books.
What I really enjoyed was the fast pace, good writing of a sexy relationship with lots of details and a variety of ideas, dilemma of the protagonist lasting until the end. The female protagonist Lucia (aka Cat) is witty, smart, believable and totally lovable. ( )
  spacegirl3000 | May 3, 2016 |
I have been meaning to continue w/ this series for quite some time as I absolutely loved [b:The Professional|17558070|The Professional (The Game Maker, #1)|Kresley Cole|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392842210s/17558070.jpg|24485326] and Aleksei. It's been so long that I didn't remember quite how steamy the first book was!

Cat Marin is on the run from her con man husband, Edward. Hiding out in Miami and cleaning houses for money, she is convinced to give the escort business a try when her friend Ivana has a bad reaction to botox and needs a stand in. This brings Cat to the penthouse of The Master.

Maksimilian Sevastyan is a billionaire politician bratva boss. He is also a hobbyist - a hobby which includes ordering up thin/blonde/Russian escorts for some impersonal BDSM play. When he ordered Ivana, he definitely was not expecting a 5'2 curvy Cuban mamasita.

At this point, the story pretty much devolves into sex over substance and remains that way for about 2/3 of the book. The plot conflicts during this part were mainly spats between Maksim and Cat... though some of the arguments and behavior did elicit some chuckles from me. Arguments aside, this part of the book was very VERY H.O.T.

Then the last part of the book speeds back up with the suspense involving Cat's husband. This part of the action and suspense was excellent and kept me listening quite late in the night. I was quite emotionally invested in Cat's character... which surprised me because I usually don't care for escorts as heroines.

I give the audio performance 3 stars. The accents were off for me at times, particularly during intimate scenes when Cat's voice devolved into a caricature of a high-pitched hispanic timbre. I think this book would have been performed better with dual narrators... particularly Iggy Toma, who does a wonderful Russian accent.

4 stars / 5 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
The Master, unlike The Professional (the first book in this series), is a more "classic" romance novel. This, however, doesn't go to the detriment of the story. On the contrary, it made me appreciate it more. I really liked the first installement but this one is better. Obviously, this is only a matter of preferencies. ;)
The main characters are beautiful, whole, complex. The story itself is very good... more focused on feelings than events...or better places. In fact the book is full of events but Maksim and Cat's story takes place only in a few locations, unlike the first book where the couple went from America to Russia and then to Paris and back.
I really like this series and I'll wait, hopefully, for another book. ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
Overall Impression: A sexy read for a cold winter's night (lots of beach and sun!)

Read and reviewed this one over at The Book Vixen...
http://www.thebookvixen.com/2015/03/book-review-master-by-kresley-cole.html ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
The Master

The Characters

Cat Marin (but not really) - Strong willed and determined. She might be one of the best heroines I’ve ever read. To find out that the husband you love is really a killer with his sights set on you and have the determination to live to fight another day is amazing. Constantly rebuilding your life… well until you run into a surly Russian.

Maksimilian “Maxim” Sevastyan - Maxim could be a pea in the pod with his brother Aleks. (from The Professional) I’m so so glad Maxim found Cat and she helped him conquer his demons. Maxim proves to not only be smart and handsome but unexpectedly sweet and funny.

The Story

Quick Summary: Cat is on the run. One more class and she can finally flee Miami but to do that she needs money. When her friend Ivanna (the escort) has to cancel her “date” Cat agrees to step in. One “date” one guy then she splits, what could go wrong. Well when that guy turns out to be Maxim it turns out a lot of plans can change quickly.

This story is full of sensual sexy times, courageous characters and in the end love. I really enjoyed every page.

The Random Thoughts

”Muchas gracias, Botox.” LOL

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 13, 2015 |
"They say I'm heartless and manipulative, that I amuse myself by playing with others
lives. They aren't wrong." - Maksimilian Sevastyan
"A mal tiempo, buena cara. To bad weather, good face." - Ana-Lucía Martinez (Alias: Cat Marín)
Mi madre must be turning over in her grave right now.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible