The Lion Trees: Part Two: Awakening (Volume…

The Lion Trees: Part Two: Awakening (Volume 2)

by Owen Thomas

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. This is a story about a dysfunctional family. The characters are very well developed and you can even relate to them in someone you know. That's what makes you continue to read. But the story gets very long and just long. I did complete the two part book but found myself being lulled to sleep over the constant flow of words. I believe this is a good story and could and would have been much more enjoyable in a shorter version. ( )
  thicks | Aug 20, 2015 |
It received this book for free in exchange for an honest review and sadly I didn't read the first book prior, that being said, I can't imagine what could possibly be in the first book as this one seems to have it all. I've held off on my review because I want to do it justice, but it left me rather speechless. I LOVED THIS BOOK!! Enter a most dysfunctional family where no one shares any common traits. Along with distinct and warped personalities, there are criminal situations that you can't possibly see a way clear of. The pain, guilt, angst, self pity & blame resonated so very clearly I couldn't help but feel all of these awful emotions that the characters projected. All said & done, it ended beautifully. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  cricket61 | Aug 16, 2015 |
This is volume two of a two volume epic. My review of the first volume really covers both, as I suspect is the case for many of the other reviewers. Suffice it to say that Owen Thomas needs to join the list of acclaimed authors with best sellers -- he belongs in the company of Anthony Doerr and other modern literary giants. Why hasn't this book hit the charts yet? Have to give it six or seven stars, out of a possible five. ( )
  LisbethE | Jul 7, 2015 |
I was given a free copy for an honest review.

The conclusion to the epic family drama. This was very interesting, especially David's story. I had no idea how it would go down.

Hollis was an idiot, and he lost everything. It was so sad. The story of the fish was shocking. I can't believe he never reminisced about it.

I'm glad Susan finally stood up for herself and did what she believed in.

Tilly was still a dumb sloot. I wanted to skip her chapters, but I stuck through it in the end. She just can't be happy.

An amazing read, but part 2 has multiple spelling and grammar errors. Your and you're especially. It was just something that bugged me. Part 1 didn't have nearly as much errors. ( )
1 vote lesindy | May 20, 2015 |
I was very lucky to receive this book for free from librarything.com giveaway.
I reviewed the first part of the book and I can say the same about the second part. So I'm not going to repeat myself (review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1166670817?book_show_action=false). I can just add that if I could give six stars to this book I honestly would.
This story was a wonderful jorney and wonderful experience. And it was the jorney itself not the destination what mattered. Of course plotline was interesting enough to keep me guessing, how will this all end, wanting to know, where this will lead but when I finally arrived at the ending point, all I could do was just sigh deeply not wanting to let go. I grew fond of the characters and felt for them like they were part of my family. Sometimes annoying, sometimes sweet but all the same my own kin.
I am waiting for more from the author.

As for the downsides, i think the story at times were too much tended to Americans as for Europeans it was too much of the inner politics of the USA depicted. I want to go deep but not so deep. Could just cut those speechees a little bit shorter. ( )
1 vote Nefrotete | Apr 15, 2015 |

What happens when you get the life you aim for and it hurts like hell?

The Johns family is unraveling. Hollis, a retired Ohio banker, isolates himself in esoteric hobbies and a dangerous flirtation with a colleague’s daughter. Susan, his wife of forty years, risks everything for a second chance at who she might have become. David, their eldest, thrashes to stay afloat as his teaching career capsizes in a storm of accusations involving a missing student and the legacy of Christopher Columbus. And young Tilly, the black sheep, having traded literary promise for an improbable career as a Hollywood starlet, struggles to define herself amid salacious scandal, the demands of a powerful director, and the judgments of an uncompromising writer.

By turns comical and poignant, the Johns family is tumbling toward the discovery that sometimes you have to let go of your identity to find out who you are.

[A] cerebral page turner…a powerful and promising debut.—Kirkus Reviews

[Five Stars]…[A] powerful, gripping and realistic story…The Lion Trees does what so very few great novels can: it will take a lot out of you, but leave you with much more than you had when you began Pacific Book Reviews, a five star review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:01 -0400)

Owen Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,350,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible