The Christmas Light by Donna VanLiere

The Christmas Light

by Donna VanLiere

Yea!!! I won this ArC from goodreads! Always fun to win a book! The Christ,mas Light is sure to become a Hallmark movie! A sweet romantic story where everything works out -very predictable. Not much depth to the story or characters and I didn't get a heartwarming feeling about the Christmas season! It's really not my kind of book but was glad to win it and have the opportunity to read something I don't normally read. ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
This was a fun light read. Although I read it well after Christmas, I still enjoyed it. ( )
  eliorajoy | Feb 17, 2016 |
Jennifer DeLuca is a single mom, struggling to raise her daughter Avery after the death of her husband. Her struggles are made harder because six-year-old Avery is having a hard time accepting the fact that her father is gone. Ryan Mazyck is a single father who is raising daughter Sophia after his divorce. Sixteen-year-old Kaylee is pregnant and trying to decide what to do with her baby when it is born. Steven and Lily are ready to start a family but have had no success in getting pregnant. These five people are struggling but during doing their best. Little do they realize that a Christmas pageant will bring them all together and forever change their lives.

“The Christmas Light” is exactly what I'm looking for in a Christmas romance novel - the romance is sweet, the book is a bit light and fluffy, happy yet sad at times, and totally predictable. This is the type of book where you know what is going to happen so you just sit back and enjoy the ride. While the book features five characters the main story is about Jennifer and Ryan. This story is heartbreaking at times (keep tissues nearby!) and very realistically done. You may think you know where their story is going but there are a few surprises along the way. The Kaylee/Stephen/Lily story is again predictable but also has a surprise or two. Also mixed in with all of this is the story of the Christmas pageant run by Miriam and Gloria - these two are a hoot and add some much-needed laughter to the book. If I have a complaint about the book it is the writing style – the present tense is a bit jarring and takes some getting used to.

“The Christmas Light” is the first book I've read by Donna VanLiere but it won't be my last. Well done. ( )
  drebbles | Dec 26, 2014 |
Jennifer and Avery have lost their husband and father. Avery is having difficulty coping and is seeing a therapist. Ryan comes to Grandon to visit his aunt. He has custody of his daughter Sophia. An unwed mother and a couple seeking adoption are also residents of Grandon. All of their lives are brought together by a Christmas Pageant at the Grandon Community Church that Ryan's aunt and her friend Miriam are organizing. A major theme in the book is how darkness can turn to light. It also shows how God can use each of us in spite of our flaws. Donna Van Liere writes nearly perfect Christmas stories. This may be among her finest. If you need to experience a Christmas miracle, this book is for you! ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 18, 2014 |
Five people drawn together by a Christmas Nativity play.
Jennifer and Ryan are both single parents with a daughter each. A loss of a father so quickly leaves Avery shocked for some time.
A mother walks out on her husband and daughter. Grief is different than death but still a great loss.
Kaylee, a teenager about to give birth to a baby. Stephen and Lily happily married looking to adopt a child.
It's amazing how lives cross for miracles at Christmas. And the birth of "The baby of all babies" makes on chuckle but right on cue.
Of course being a teacher for years, I loved the unruly twins in angel choir.
Have tissues handy as you near the end to dry your tears which will come. ( )
  squiresj | Oct 10, 2014 |

"In the small town of Grandon, five very different people discover the true meaning of Christmas. Jennifer and Ryan are both single parents, struggling with their own losses and heartache. Sixteen-year-old Kaylee is faced with a life-changing situation that has affected her whole family. Stephen and Lily are happily married and ready to start a family. All of them are facing their own struggles, and all are finding their way through the dark. When they are brought together for a rather unconventional church Nativity, they will learn that with strength, courage, and love, there is always hope. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,718,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible