A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas

A Quilt for Christmas

by Sandra Dallas

Lovely... there is so much good in this story. Women who band together to support one another through truly difficult things. War and all the high emotion that comes along with it and for the lucky, a realization that there is more in common than different. And grief ... I know that grief of losing a husband and trying to move forward. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 22, 2017 |
Set during the Civil War in Wabaunsee, Kansas while Eliza's husband is off fighting for the Union. She and her son and daughter must keep the farm running until her husband comes home. She makes a Christmas quilt for him to keep warm and sends it off with one of his friends who is on leave. She received a letter back saying he is enjoying the quilt, and he is the only one warm during the winter months. Working the farm is hard work with only her 14year old son and-and 11-year-old daughter on the homestead. Making all the decisions also are hard but with the help of her quilting circle they carry on. But war brings surprises and heartache for Eliza, and she longs for the day the war will be over. ( )
  JCGirl | Sep 9, 2016 |
My interest in historical fiction largely lies with the "behind the scenes" stories that one doesn't usually learn about in history class. How are "regular people" affected by large scale political events? A Quilt for Christmas gives me some insight into how families and friends come together in hardship in Kansas during and after the Civil War.

As usual, the female characters in this book are strong, life-long learners in "real-life" situations, so the story is compelling to me. Fans of Dallas' work will recognize names from The Persian Pickle Club. I love how Sandra Dallas writes her characters in different books--I feel like I'm catching up with old friends, but this story stands on it's own, so readers new to Dallas can enjoy the book as well.

I gratefully received this book from the publisher as a Goodreads First Read. ( )
  BetsyCB | Mar 23, 2016 |
What a cool but, at the heart a true story, this book proved. I read it for my in-person discussion group. I found that I was happy Eliza had great friends to support her. The author told a story of strong women that took the life God gave them and made it beautiful. I will seek out this author again in the future. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Nov 7, 2015 |
A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas
Wanted to read this book for the quilting and for the holiday itself.
1864 during the war. Eliza Spoon is in charge of her home and land while her husband goes to war. She makes a quilt for her husband and she gets a thank you card for Christmas. She does take in a woman with a child, who just a few days ago was a war widow.
The war widows would gather once a month to quilt. Love hearing what the colors represent. She is also sent a letter that her husband has died but something again doesn't sound right with the letter.
She is asked to hide a beaten colored woman and she agrees til others come to find her to take her away. She then hides her at another's farm. So many deaths and she leaves the house to offer water to one who's wandered into their yard.
  jbarr5 | Mar 31, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible