A Penny for the Hangman by Tom Savage

A Penny for the Hangman

by Tom Savage

Karen Tyler is offered the journalistic opportunity of a lifetime. Fifty years ago, two teenage boys brutally murdered their parents and housekeeper. Now, someone is willing to talk about what really happened that night, leading Karen to travel to an isolated island in search of the truth.

I loved the use of mixed-media here. Savage uses journal entries, magazine articles, trial and disc transcripts, and e-mails to tell one eerie, suspenseful story. The back and forth between the immediate story and the documents creates incredible tension.

And this is definitely one suspenseful story. It's one of those that you think about when you're not reading, trying to puzzle out what is really going on. No one and nothing are what they seem, and when all is revealed, the revelation packs a real punch.

I am also in general always a fan of mysteries set on isolated islands, such as And Then There Were None (one of my top three books of all time).

I did feel this book suffered a bit from pacing. The very beginning was really intriguing, and then things got a little slow for a bit. The ending also seemed a little oddly paced, some parts rushed, some parts a little too slow.

I would definitely recommend this book. It's really clever and intriguing, and once the story grabs hold of you, it won't let go. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Feb 7, 2017 |

An intriguing story told in a fascinating fashion, using diary extracts, details from books written about the murders, even a reference to a speech made by President Eisenhower that had me scurrying to verify its contents, in addition to the narrative. A small part of that narrative is in the first person, but it wasn’t until the very end of the book that it became apparent why that was done.

Everything is definitely not all that it seems in this story. At first it comes across as mysterious, seemingly straightforward, but the author has woven in a number of interesting twists that can catch the reader by surprise. I found it difficult to put aside because the plot was always moving on and felt the need to find out what was really taking place. It is based on revenge, but it is the revenge of a number of people that is involved, and quite rightly it is the almost righteous revenge, revealed at the very end of the novel, that wins out.

I had never heard of Tom Savage before, but I will be looking for more of his works. Highly recommended for thriller and mystery lovers.
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
Remember Lyle and Eric Menendez? Well, this is a story much like theirs. Rodney and Wulf are boyhood friends who decide to kill both of their parents while they are having a dinner party. Rodney and Wulf are convicted and go to prison, but there is much more to this story than anyone knows. Karen, a New York City journalist, has received a phone call near the 50th anniversary of the killings suggesting that she will meet someone very close to these murders. Could it be Rodney or Wulf? Karen heads down to the Virgin Islands, the site of the murders, to learn more about the mystery.

First, I love that this novel is set in the Virgin Islands. The way Savage describes the landscape makes me want to hop the next flight to spend a week at the Reef. I loved Tom Savage's earlier books and wondered if he would ever make another appearance. Image my surprise when I found this one on NetGalley! Super glad he is back and really loved this mystery. Definitely one to pick up when it comes out in October. ( )
  Kappadeemom | Oct 27, 2014 |
The Master of Mystery has returned. After an absence of 14 years, Tom Savage has brought us another tale of madness and murder with enough twists to rival a pretzel factory. I love this author and his talent for creating unrelenting suspense and superb characterizations. Please Sir, I want some more. Don't ever go away again,the Genre was lonely without you. ( )
  silversurfer | Oct 14, 2014 |
This book revolves around a murder that happened 50 years ago on an island in the Caribbean. It is the story of a young reporter who gets the opportunity to interview someone who was involved with the crime. Events spiral out of her control and we are kept on the edge of our seats wondering what is going to happen.
This is a great book! Recommended read.
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review from Netgalley. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Oct 13, 2014 |

In Tom Savage's chilling novel of suspense, an ambitious reporter is beckoned to an island paradise for the story of a lifetime. But this scoop might just be the death of her. Fifty years ago, on the Caribbean island of St. Thomas, two teenagers born to privilege were convicted of slaughtering their parents in cold blood. Today the men are free and a Hollywood movie has been made about the murders. For Karen Tyler, an eager New York journalist, the case is irresistible. She has been invited to the Virgin Islands for an interview that's too good to pass up and sounds too good to be true. Karen packs her bikini and her digital recorder and follows an ingeniously designed trail that leads her to a wealthy, mysterious figure. The man claims to be one of the notorious boys, but Karen soon learns that all is not as it seems. On this isolated utopia of sun and surf, a young reporter far from home fights for the truth'and for her life. Because the shocking secret behind the infamous atrocities has remained hidden all these years. And the killing isn't over yet.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible