The Covered Deep by Brandy Vallance

The Covered Deep

by Brandy Vallance

I was first captured by the title. Then the cover. Then the blurb.

Then I heard this book was 14 years in the making. Fourteen YEARS.

I alternately wanted to weep and gape at the literary genius I was certain these pages would contain . . .

I was not disappointed.

Read my breakdown of this novel (Heroine, Hero, Baddies, Plot, Setting, The Ending, Overall Effect) here:

And ENTER THE GIVEAWAY FOR A PAPERBACK COPY. Giveaway ends 1.31.15. ( )
  NatalieMonk | Jul 3, 2017 |
Title: The Covered Deep
Author: Brandy Vallance
Pages: 403
Year: 2014
Publisher: Worthy Publishing
She must win the contest. Bianca Marshal has entered a writing contest with the winner receiving an all-expense paid trip to the Holy Land. Bianca now lives in rural Ohio and the year is 1877. She is 25 years old and her mother is hounding her to marry anyone, but make it soon! Bianca is holding out for a love match, but in her small town her choices are limited. She just knows that if she can win this contest, God is going to lead her to meet her future husband somewhere along the way. She does win the contest along with three others. She travels to England to meet her host. She also meets the three winners. She meets one man in particular who immediately garners her attention and affection. As the trip progresses, she falls more and more in love with Paul. He appears to be the perfect man for her and Paul feels the same for Bianca. However, Paul has a devastating secret that he is keeping from Bianca. It is something that happened over two years ago before he became a Christian. He hopes Bianca will never find out, but their host for the trip is constantly saying or doing something that aggravates Paul so he contemplates leaving the tour. What would Bianca think of him if she were to ever learn his secret?
This story plumbs the depths of forgiveness and presses the limits of faith. Can Bianca’s proclaimed faith stand up against deception and cruelty? Can she truly forgive as she has said she would? It has a very interesting premise that partially remains hidden for most of the story. The host of the trip is a very desperate, lonely and manipulative man. He has done many criminal acts, but this time he has put himself in the position of observing how the four contest winners interact with each other. They each share a connection, but how? You’ll have to pick up a copy of the book to find out, but I’ll tell you it is very intriguing how the author has assembled the cast of characters and how the plot plays out.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | May 10, 2015 |
MY GENERAL THOUGHTS: I really, really liked this book. It was different yet exciting at the same time. The writing is so beautiful and easy to follow and the characters were well made, even though they seemed to be flawed at times, which only made them that more realistic. The history facts throughout this book were also fun to read about. Though, at times I did find Bianca to act a little like a child concerning her naivety, she put herself in potential danger by walking around alone with men in only her nightgown (?) just to attempt capturing the attention of a man she had decided was her future husband. But I suppose that the author wanted to show her grow into maturity towards the end of the book, which was very well demonstrated in my opinion.

QUESTIONABLE CONTENT: As I previously said, Bianca did often place herself into potentially dangerous situations in the order of capturing the attention of a man. There were some sexual issues such as adultery, in addition to stealing and sneaky schemes. However, there was not much violence, if any.

RATING AND RECOMMENDATION: Overall, I did enjoy The Covered Deep and rate it 4 out of 5 stars for a very well read. I recommend it to anyone who loves Historical Romance!

"I received this book from the author/publisher for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are my own." ( )
  RayleighAnn | Dec 20, 2014 |
A debut novel? Really?! The Covered Deep is Brandy Vallance’s first novel, but it sure didn’t feel that way. This well-researched historical novel has it all — a wonderful sense of place and time, well-developed characters, and a twisting plot that will keep the reader on her toes. If this is what you get with a first novel, I can’t wait to read more from Brandy Vallance.

Bianca Marshall knows what she wants. She just can’t find it in her small, southern Ohio town. Romance, love, adventure — she wants to experience it all and find her soul mate in the process. Urged by her father, Bianca enters and wins a contest that will whisk her away from small town life to sophisticated London society and the exotic locales of the Holy Land. But Bianca didn’t count on heartbreak, danger and God’s challenge of forgiveness.

As I said, The Covered Deep has it all. Vallance does a great job of capturing the life and times of not one but two locations — London and Jerusalem of the 1870s. I felt like I was traveling right along with Bianca as she left America for adventure and romance. Vallance’s characterizations are strong as well. The good characters, Bianca and Paul, were credible with real life flaws and faults. But it was the bad guys who I really loved. And while forgiveness and redemption were strong themes, not all the characters would accept the gift from God. The mysterious machinations of Sir Adrian had me guessing and kept me on the edge of my seat. There were plenty of times I held my breath along with Bianca.

I highly recommend this not just good, but excellent debut from Brandy Vallance.

Highly Recommended.

Audience: Adults

(Thanks to Worthy Publishing for a review copy. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Oct 16, 2014 |
Fans of historical and inspirational fiction may find themselves a little disappointed in this novel by first time author, Brandy Vallance. But before any of you vindictive Christian bloggers bite my head off (you know who you are!), let me explain the pros and cons of this book and how I reached my decision.

What I enjoyed about this book:
The premise was pretty unique; it's 1877, a naive young Ohio woman wins the trip of a lifetime to go abroad to the Holy Land with a carefully selected group of travelers. In the beginning, I even enjoyed the strangeness of Sir Adrian, the eccentric millionaire who creates the contest looking for unique and compatible travelers to journey with him to Jerusalem. The little historical touches were also educational and fitting with the story. It helped bring the travelers and their surroundings to life.

What I could have done without:
Bianca is far too naive and suddenly loses all common sense when journeying to the Holy Land. Walking around the garden in just her nightgown, walking alone with men, letting her hair out, and begging to be kissed are just a few of the things she does that are sharply in contrast to her naive pure, Christian nature which she embodies elsewhere in the book. Her lover, Paul, is thankfully not so pure. He has a dark past filled with stealing and adultery which he has to somehow has to get Bianca to understand and forgive. Of course, Bianca can't wrap her head around it (can you blame her?) or forgive him so their short relationship is doomed. Speaking of short relationships... Love at first sight? Really?! It was like instant love. Bianca meets Paul and thirty seconds later she's wondering what their children will look like. They both fall head over heels in love and within a week they're talking about love, marriage, and what Bianca's father will say. Thankfully, things don't get too passionate because Paul has awesome timing and etiquette for bringing up his sordid past (yes, that was sarcasm). Finally, the last thing I could have done without was the hidden planning/game of Sir Adrian's. Really? Get a life mister. I can't believe some crazed millionaire would really plan for two years to find the perfect match for Paul just to see if he would confess his dirty past, thus being a true Christian.... I just don't see it. It's not even that exciting. The story would have been much better without all those weird little schemes, that didn't really go anywhere.

Overall, it wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. I enjoyed the historical aspects of it and the writing was eloquently worded but... that was about it for me. For a first novel though, Brandy Vallance has nothing to be ashamed of, this was at least readable and at times, enjoyable, which is more then I can say about most first time authors. I wish her well in future works and look forward to reading any of her upcoming novels :)

I received this book for free from Worthy Publishing in return for my honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  ecataldi | Oct 13, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161795375X, Paperback)

Bianca Marshal is holding out for the perfect husband. Finding a man that meets the requirements of her "must-have" list in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains has proven impossible. Bianca's mama insists that there's no such thing as a perfect true love, and that Bianca's ideal man is pure fiction. On the eve of her twenty-fifth birthday, Bianca discovers a devastating statistic: her chance of marrying is now only eighteen percent. Unwilling to accept spinsterhood, Bianca enters an essay contest that propels her into a whirlwind search for her soulmate. Via the opulence of London and the mysteries of the Holy Land, Bianca's true love will be revealed, but not without a heavy price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

"An incurably romantic bookworm from Appalachia wins a contest and travels to England and the Holy Land in search of the perfect romantic hero. Set in 1877. "-- "Bianca Marshal is holding out for the perfect husband. Finding a man that meets the requirements of her "must-have" list in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains has proven impossible. Bianca's mama insists that there's no such thing as a perfect true love, and that Bianca's ideal man is pure fiction. On the eve of her twenty-fifth birthday, Bianca discovers a devastating statistic: her chance of marrying is now only eighteen percent. Unwilling to accept spinsterhood, Bianca enters an essay contest that propels her into a whirlwind search for her soulmate. Via the opulence of London and the mysteries of the Holy Land, Bianca's true love will be revealed, but not without a heavy price"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible