Delay of Game by Catherine Gayle

Delay of Game

by Catherine Gayle

204515,329 (4.31)None

Sara has always been the one to take care of her father, both when she was a child and now that she's grown and working as his personal assistant. Now that his health is in some trouble, keeping him stress-free and eating right is more important than ever. So how is she supposed to tell him that she's pregnant from a one night stand? And that she's been going out with one of his players?

The Verdict: While I frequently wanted to slap Sara upside the head and point out just how perfect Cam was for her, it was still a great read.

Sara's love for her father is probably what made the most sense to me. Having been abandoned by her mother when she was just a kid, it's always been her and her dad against the world, so to speak. However, that abandonment led to her being unable to grow any lasting relationships, whether it came to friends or boyfriends, and until now, she's been okay with that. But then a one-night stand proved that birth control isn't always effective, and somehow she's got to accept and deal with being pregnant at a time that her dad really can't handle anymore stress.

Cam is used to being alone. It's not that he's averse to socializing or relationships, but he's been putting his mom and his sisters first for so long that he really hasn't made any time for himself. He cares about the guys on the team with him, though, and he takes his career seriously. He also takes seriously the sexy shoes his coach's daughter and personal assistant is always wearing. When a game gets out of hand and sends their coach to the hospital with a “heart event”, Cam's first thought — other than to blame himself — is for Sara. He doesn't leave her side while she falls apart over her father, and he makes sure he's there for her afterward.

I was a little surprised at how quickly their relationship progressed, but given how broken down Sara was under the circumstances, it's no wonder she was looking for some comfort. More surprising, though, in the best way, was Cam's reaction to her pregnancy. It wasn't a reaction at all, really, unless you count his wanting to beat the hell out of whatever guy he imagined knocked her up and left her to deal with the consequences. That bit there was the beginning of only about a million ways Cam showed that he loved Sara for who she was rather than whatever idea he might have had of her.

Sara, though, was resistant to the extreme. While she had no problem developing a physical relationship, she wasn't willing to let down her guard enough to depend on him, and that tended to drive me a bit nuts. It also meant that nearly every other thing Cam did was incredibly sweet and selfless, and after a while I started wondering when Sara was finally going to open her eyes and see it. I kind of wish she'd given in just a little earlier on, so he wouldn't have had to play the role of white knight quite so completely. But I guess that just does to show that she was messed up from her mom, and he was a better man than she ever could have hoped for.

While Delay of Game, like the other books in the series, had a character who was dealing with issues from her past, it was a much lighter read than how the series started out, and I think that's went a long way toward my enjoying it more. Don't get me wrong; the other books had some light moments and some great happily ever afters, but this one was just lighter all around. Even with Scotty in the hospital and Sara pregnant and Cam desperate to prove to her that he would never leave her, it managed to be a bit fluffier than its predecessors, so it's a nice uptick in what is turning out to be a pretty great sports romance series. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
*4.5 Stars*

My love for this series just keeps growing and growing with every new book I read. I am so attached to all these characters. At this point I just hope it never ends!

I knew I liked Cam from the very first book when he started teaching Dana how to fight to defend herself. This is a guy who is an enforcer on the ice -a big tough fighter, but the way he treats women just takes your breath away. How dreamy is a guy who is willing to love a girl who's pregnant with someone else's baby? And then he has a tiny, fluffy deaf dog!

Sara on the other hand is extremely stubborn so be prepared to have lots of patience with her. She is the kind of person who doesn't let anyone get close to her because she fears that in the end, they will end up leaving. Her dad, Scotty, is the only person she has and in this book we get to see a whole new side of him. Up until now I just thought of Scotty as the angry coach who was constantly screaming. It was nice to see him in a different light and realize what a loving father he is and how much he cares about his players.

I could just keep reading the Portland Storm books forever. As long as Catherine Gayle keeps writing them, I will keep reading them :)

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  SpellboundRDR | Jun 19, 2015 |
Delay of Game (Portland Storm #4) by Catherine Gayle

Sara is the daughter of the legendary hockey coach Scotty Thomas. She has taken care of her father ever since her mother left.

Enforcer Cam Johnson has been interested in Sara but considered her off limits since she is the coach’s daughter; however, due to extenuating circumstances, Cam makes it his mission to take care of and protect Sara.

Sara is a wonderful heroine. She is strong and stubborn. She’s loyal, despite being afraid to let others in. She has so many emotional issues to deal with that my heart just went out to her.

I love Cam. As an enforcer, it’s not surprising that he likes to safeguard those he loves. Having grown up without a father, taking care of his mom and sisters, definitely gave him an edge with Sara. He is not afraid to fight on the ice but is calm off of it. I appreciated that although Cam had his own issues to deal with, he would put others needs in front of his, as well as facing consequences and not expecting preferential treatment.

I love how the team is like a family. They look out for each other and support one another.

True to form, Catherine Gayle created an exceptional plot with believable issues. Delay of Game is a heartwarming story that I fell in love with. The story held me captivated with every word. Not once did I want to skim through the novel. I was reading another book that had me falling asleep, so I decided to start reading this book and was instantly energized. I would highly recommend this series to people that enjoy contemporary sports romances.

A gifted copy was provided for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Aug 19, 2014 |
I have loved this series since the very first book! Hockey and romance and real issues... what's not to love?! Cam is a fabulous romantic hero, strong and powerful, yet a big softie at heart. Sara is a great character, totally devoted to her father and carrying a bit of baggage of her own.

I love that the author brings the whole hockey "family" from book to book, just focusing on a new couple each time. This one was interesting because it brought together two people we already knew from the other books. For me, this book was the most intense emotionally. There is some real sadness and heartache in the midst of a beautiful story, and it really resonated within me.

That is one of my favorite things about the books in this series, that the author doesn't shy away from real subjects and real emotions. Not everything is blissful in Romance Land; there is heartache and pain and loss right along with the love. I can't stand a romance where things come to pass too easily. That doesn't feel real. That isn't something that I can relate to because real love and relationships, life, is messy. These books have all of this.
I have a hard time deciding which of the series is my favorite. Each one brings a new part of the story of the Portland Storms family. This one was emotionally hard for me to read but the story was beautiful!

My Recommendation: The others in the series should be read in order to fully appreciate the story. But this is a fabulous addition to the story! I gave it 4.5 mugs! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 18, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible