The 1st Short Story Collection by…

The 1st Short Story Collection

Collections:horror, short-stories
Tags:short-stories, mystery-thriller, action, 1ebook

The 1st Short Story Collection by Anonymous-Nine

Synopsis/blurb....

Crime, noir and mystery short stories by Anonymous-9, Winner of Spinetingler Mag's Best Short Story on the Web, 2009. (She was nominated again in 2010.)

"The 1st Short Story Collection" by Anonymous-9 contains 11 of her very best. New York Times bestselling author T. Jefferson Parker praised her crazy-good sense of humor. But that touch of humor comes with an edge and a bite. The collection reflects Anonymous-9's hardboiled vision of a dark and violent world. This is a collection of her award-winning fiction for the very first time.
---------
My take.....

A short collection of stories from Anonymous-9 aka Elaine Ash and a decent finish to the month's reading.

In the 70 page collection we had......

Hard Bite - a refresher for me as I've read both of the longer works from Anon-9 - Hard Bite and Bite Harder. I can't remember what happened to gang of three - a cripple, a call girl and a trained killer monkey. Here our gang of three, mainly two continue to set the world to rights but not without a few missteps.

Tequila Spike - a concerned woman, a small girl, a feckless mother, a procession of worthless boyfriends, a plan to give the girl a future.

Claw Marks - some bar room and bedroom observations from a cat

Backseat Driver - a bar room pick up and an early morning leaving present

Mama Knew - marriage ain't all it's cracked up to be, but ...... To a widow the sweetest sound this side of heaven is a man snoring.

Organic Chicken Tortilla Soup with Chopped Finger Garnish - a trip to a restaurant, should have dialled out for pizza

Return of the Night of the Living Dead Zombie Monkey from Sunset Boulevard - a bit of a weird one with Cecil B Demille featuring

Killer Orgasm - a single woman with a plan for a man

Eating the Deficit - the future, bills to pay

The Master Bedroom - a boy with parent issues

M-N-S (n) murder-necrophilia-suicide - doing the devil's work, but not if your cv doesn't qualify you for the job

Notes and Quotes Acknowledgments Dedication - an interesting afterword offering snippets on the origins and evolution of some of the pieces in the collection.

A fantastic collection that I sped through.

All were good, minimum, a few were great and a couple superb. Personal favourites - Hard Bite, Tequila Spike and Backseat Driver.

Well worth a look in my opinion.

4.5 from 5

Anonymous-9's fiction has been enjoyed in the past - Hard Bite, Bite Harder, Just So You Know I'm Not Dead, Crashing Through Mirrors

Read in November, 2018
Published - 2011
Page count - 70
Source - owned copy
Format - kindle

https://col2910.blogspot.com/2018/11/anonymous-9-1st-short-story-collection.html ( )
  col2910 | Dec 1, 2018 |
Anonymous-9's "Hard Bite and Other Short Stories" reminds me of the curved spine of a serpent's tail. Tattooed on its back are vivid colors, shapes and sizes that change and move into shadows or sunshine depending on which angles of imagination you choose to look, or which she allows you to see. The serpent slithers through brush and undergrowth and you have to run to keep up, you have too, because nothing matters more than what happens next? What the F$#! happens next?

Every story is alive, every page a beating heart. Enter into the "Master Bedroom" where mom and pop lie chained to the bed. Or check your drink for a "Tequila Spike" where there is more than meets the eye in the gentle and frail. While you're checking that drink, better check twice and cross your legs like a lady, certain mixtures can cause (one of my favorites--no joke) a "Killer Orgasm" emphasis on killer. In "Hard Bite", a disabled superhero cyber geek and killer monkey take down one hit and run perpetrator at a time. `Nuff said. Reading "Return of the Night of the Living Dead Monkey from Sunset Boulevard" is like movie cow tipping with a satisfying mug of cold beer. In "Claw Marks" Anon turns from monkeys to kitties, where the creature of the household witnesses crime first hand, then helps clean up the aftermath. If you enjoy political satire, especially undead political satire, you'll enjoy "Eating the Deficit." Speaking of eating, how does "Organic Chicken tortilla Soup with Chopped Finger Garnish" sound? The prose is humorous and tasty with a dash of horror. Yum! And of course, there is "M-N-S(n) Murder-necrophilia-suicide." A demon, head of the Family Homicide in Hades, has a difficult case on his hands. Frank Sinatra really screws up his never-ending day, or does he?

I highly recommend Anonymous-9's "Hard Bite and Other Short Stories" for every genre lover out there. Just keep an eye on that serpent, and if he offers you an apple--take a rain check.
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
I thought it was unfair to read these stories so soon after [b:When the Women Come Out to Dance|531818|When the Women Come Out to Dance|Elmore Leonard|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1175573380s/531818.jpg|1899309] by [a:Elmore Leonard|12940|Elmore Leonard|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1240015224p2/12940.jpg]. There were a lot of similarities in the style, subject matter, the shock of what people can do to each other & how they can justify it in their own minds. Leonard is a well known expert at it while Anonymous-9 is a fairly new author. How could she possibly hope to compete? Damn, but she did!

The one HCC novel I read that was written by a woman, [a:Christa Faust|26764|Christa Faust|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1206544979p2/26764.jpg], was as noir & hard case as anything I've ever read by a guy. In some ways, it was even rougher & darker. She, like Anonymous-9, write far better leading women than most men do. They are sometimes worse than I want to imagine & they do men just as well. Set that into a some very creative situations & the results were wonderful. Definitely an author to pursue! ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible