Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman

Blackhearts

by Nicole Castroman

1158104,954 (4)None

Wonderfully romantic version of the early life of Edward Teach aka Blackbeard. Thoroughly enjoyed the plot but was incredibly disappointed that the story stopped with Teach, at age 19, finally stepping foot on the Deliverance (what will be the Queen Anne's Revenge in later volumes I assume). This is volume one in a new series - I cannot wait to read volume 2! ( )
  scatlett | Mar 6, 2018 |
--Read my full review of the book at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

This isn't some swashbuckling pirate novel taking place on the high seas and I think if you are expecting that, you will be disappointed. It's a story about two people trying to find their place in the world and them finding each other while they do it.

Despite the fact that there isn't that much to the story when it comes to the plot, this story is highly addicting. This story has a "less is more" attitude about it. It doesn't try to overload you with too much conflict or unnecessary drama. It keeps the story focused on Anne and Teach by making their character development the main focus of the story. And the bits that are added to keep the plot moving do exactly that; they add a little layer at a time to make this story rich for the reader...and super addicting!

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1ky
Actual Rating: 5/5
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Despite this being one of my favorites of the year my rating of this book teeters between 3.5-4 stars and hopefully my bias doesn't affect my review.

Anne is an orphaned young colored woman in the 1700s (I used the term colored here because that's what she was for the purposes of the story) brought to live with the wealthy Mr Richard Drummond. She works as his maid and cook doing as her master pleases. On one of her market errands Anne finds herself face to face with an arrogant young man not much older than her. Little does she know their paths would cross shortly thereafter. This book deals with racism, classism, servant/slave abuse, interracial relationships and a lot of other interesting bits here and there. Scandal is my middle name so of course I would be attracted to any book that promises me a hint of it. Illegitimate babies and slow-burn romances are right up my alley.
First thing's first this is a Blackbeard story...kinda. You don't really get it unless you know the small details of Blackbeard like his name or at least the names he's associated with, the name of his ship, or the places he was associated with. The way Castroman played around with the vaguest of accounts was fun and I liked how she let her imagination run wild with how Edward 'Teach' Drummond became the man we barely know. Second this isn't a Blackbeard origin story. Anne is as much the main character as Teach and has much more substance to her character than he does. She is sharp, endearing, clever, kind, and takes no prisoners if she thinks you're small brained it's probably because you are. It should come to no surprise that the adventurous Teach should fall in love with the adventurous heart of Anne.
The only thing that would incline me to dock this half a star is how some parts played out. There was a few questions unanswered and the lack of finality of the story. I don't want a sequel but I didn't feel complete satisfaction with how it ended. But the story is swoon worthy. ( )
  Jessika.C | Sep 28, 2016 |
This was an alright book for me. I thought I would like it better than I did because the premise sounded right up my alley, but I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't a badly written book and the story line wasn't bad, but it ended up just not being for me. I would still recommend it though for historical fiction fans. 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
Blackhearts is a stunningly beautiful debut novel by Nicole Castroman and most definitely worth reading!

Blackbeard, one the most notorious pirates on the high seas is not clearly recognizable in this historical fiction novel of his early years. In this novel we find a young man passionate about the sea trying to make his mark on the world while yearning to please his father. A young man who finds love where he least expects it.

This novel is beautiful, romantic, heartwarming and quite sad at times. It made for perfect reading over Valentine's Day weekend though I can honestly say it would be perfect for reading at any time.

I am eagerly waiting for the next book to be released!

Thank you to Simon Pulse publishing and Edelweiss for the gift of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Feb 16, 2016 |

A reimagining of the origin story of Blackbeard the pirate and his forbidden love affair with a maid in his father's house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible