When the Great Spirit Walked Among Us by…

When the Great Spirit Walked Among Us

by Terry M. Wildman

212,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byKJS2, Jason_Hess

No tags.

'When The Great Spirit Walked Among Us' is the second installment from the First Nations Version Project and it's fantastic! I've been eagerly watching and waiting for this to come to fruition ever since I first heard of the project. Last year I even had the privilege of doing a blog based interview with Terry M. Wildman concerning this (Google - ecksermonator q&a first nations version).

In the spirit of full disclosure let me say that I am not a member of the First Nations; however, I find this unique melding of the four Gospel narratives refreshing, and inspiring. Terry has created a wonderful retelling that literally pulls you back in time. To a time when the world was slower, and people would sit together looking at one another, and not at a screen, as they would listen to their Elder speak his wisdom.

I find Mr. Wildman's name choices (e.g. Creator Sets Free = Jesus, Stands on the Rock = Peter) to be spot on. If anything they add yet another reason that I find this book refreshing and compelling. While standard Bible translations are great, if we're honest, every now and then we need something to remind us to not take the text for granted because we've become over familiar with it. 'When The Great Spirit Walked Among Us' does a great job of shaking things up and hopefully, like me, you too will will hear the voice of Creator Sets Free.

Bottom line: I can easily see myself returning to this text again and again for my own personal devotional purposes. Well done, Mr. Wildman, may your diligence and faithfulness to the Great Spirit be rewarded. ( )
  Jason_Hess | Aug 22, 2014 |

When the Great Spirit Walked Among Us retells the story of the Gospels from one great oral storytelling tradition to another. With the feel of the indigenous oral storytellers, Terry Wildman captures the beauty and cadence of an oral story in written form. Imagine the story of Jesus from four different Gospels combined into and single narrative and retold for Native Americans and all English speaking First Nations Peoples. The surprise felt by many, even those who have no Native American heritage, is the profound effect on the reader. Hearing the familiar story told with a different voice, an indigenous voice, opens a world of wonderful insights and meanings. This is an elegant retelling of the Gospel story that is sure to engage and excite a broad spectrum of readers. To honor and show the beauty of the Native American tradition, all the names are translated by their original language meaning, and so Abraham is Father Of Many Nations, Jesus is Creator Sets Free, and Peter is Stands On The Rock. This is the second book of the First Nations Version Project by this author. firstnationsversion.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

When the Great Spirit Walked Among Us retells the story of the Gospels from one great oral storytelling tradition to another. With the feel of the indigenous oral storytellers, Terry Wildman captures the beauty and cadence of an oral story in written form. Imagine the story of Jesus from four different Gospels combined into and single narrative and retold for Native Americans and all English speaking First Nations Peoples. The surprise felt by many, even those who have no Native American heritage, is the profound effect on the reader. Hearing the familiar story told with a different voice, an indigenous voice, opens a world of wonderful insights and meanings. This is an elegant retelling of the Gospel story that is sure to engage and excite a broad spectrum of readers. To honor and show the beauty of the Native American tradition, all the names are translated by their original language meaning, and so Abraham is Father Of Many Nations, Jesus is Creator Sets Free, and Peter is Stands On The Rock. This is the second book of the First Nations Version Project by this author.… (more)

Terry M. Wildman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,497,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible