Dark Heir by Faith Hunter

Dark Heir
4 Stars

Jane once again has her hands full dealing with the fallout from Leo’s secrets. In this case, she must re-capture the Son of Darkness, Joses Bar Judas, after he escapes and goes on a rampage in New Orleans.

An action packed installment that goes a long way toward explaining some of the unanswered questions from previous books.

The characters in this series are very well developed from the exceedingly creepy Bethany to the somewhat smarmy Leo and the totally yummy Bruiser. Each and every character plays a pivotal role not only in the specific storyline, but in Jane’s personal journey of self-discovery as well. One particularly entertaining aspect of this book is the growing sense of family that Jane has finally found with the Younger brothers.

On the romance front, Jane’s relationship with Bruiser is developing nicely and she is beginning to realize that she is deserving of all the love and affection her is determined to bestow on her. In fact, my one small nitpick is that Bruiser does not get enough page time. Thankfully, the little that he does get is well worth the wait - yowza!

All in all, a great addition to one of the best UF series out there and I am eagerly awaiting the next book! ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Awesome. Non-stop action packed sequel. Things seem to be working in Jane's personal life. The Younger guys are family. Bruiser is her mate. And I believe Leo is in love with or falling in love with her. She once again has to save the day against impossible odds. Great storyline and good character development. Many twists and turns. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Jane has to race against time to stop an extremely powerful vampire before the body count rises in this fast-paced addition to the Jane Yellowrock series.

Opening Sentence: I stood against the wall, nursing a busted knuckle, watching my sensei try to recover.

The Review:

Jane Yellowrock is no stranger to tough situations. But when Joses Bar Judas escapes from Leo’s imprisonment, Jane may have finally found a situation she can’t handle. Leo’s order to not kill Joses doesn’t help matters, and as the body count continues to rise, Jane has a harder and harder time stomaching that order. When she finally tracks Joses down, will Jane go along with a vampire’s order, or will she do what she does best and make sure he never hurts another person again?

I have said it before, but I’ll say it again: I have never been so happy to have continued a series that I originally did not love. Ever since book three, I have been hooked on following Jane in her adventures, and, while this book didn’t captivate me as much as the previous installment, it is still quite good. One of my usual complaints with this series is the books can be a bit slow to get going, but that was not the case here. The action starts right in the first chapter, and Jane never really gets a chance to rest until the last page has turned. Even then, you get the impression that she won’t be able to rest for long, and I for one am excited to see what’s to come.

One thing that bothered me this time around that never really affected me before is Jane’s views on cursing. It’s always been mentioned that Jane is anti-cursing, but that’s really all it was – a brief mention in passing. Here, at least in the first part of the book, it seems to be mentioned multiple times. Every time Jane would say “Gosh,” or rebuke someone for cursing, all it did was pull me out of the story and make me roll my eyes. It just doesn’t seem to fit with Jane’s tough personality. Once the emphasis on cursing went away, my enjoyment of the story increased.

My only other complaint is that there wasn’t enough Beast or Bruiser. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I love them both, and when they’re not around, I miss them. Now, the times they do show up are great – especially Bruiser’s scenes – I just wish they had shown up more often.

Don’t let my complaints fool you. This is an excellent addition to the series. Jane has to come to terms with what she’s become and figure out where to go from here. We get answers to questions from previous books, and it looks like things are only going to get more interesting from here. Fans of the series will definitely not be disappointed.

All in all, despite some minor issues, I once again enjoyed my time in Jane’s world. This series never disappoints, and I’m looking forward to the next installment!

Notable Scene:

A bladck form rose in the open shaft. Eli started firing, to heck with three-burst rounds. He shot in bursts of what sounded like ten rounds each before a short pause and a second burst. Eli emptied one mega-mag and slammed a fresh one home.

In the full second and a half that it took Eli to remove and replace the magazine, the form slithered/slid/floated/flew out of the shaft. So fast it looked feathery. Beast rammed into the front of my brain. As black as the unlit chute, as dark as a minion of hell, the thing crawled across the floor on all fours, moving like a centipede, feathery, fast, as graceful as an insect or a bird or…a lizard. That was it. Whipping and undulating like a hybrid of an insect and a lizard, its head and neck and limbs working together and yet totally separate to propel it forward.

In an act that I had never, ever wanted to experience again, Beast reached through me and brought up the Gray Between, the gray place my skinwalker energies were stored. No, I thought at her. She ignored me. Time slowed fractionally, then more. And again, to a consistency of tar, a hot, clinging thickness to the air. The thing was Joses Bar-Judas. A Son of Darkness. Leo’s prisoner. Until now.

The last time I saw him, he had been a sack of bones hanging on the wall of the lowest subbasement, crucified there with silver spikes, held in place with silver chains and several pocket watches, each containing a piece of the iron spike of Golgotha. He had been a dried-out leathery husk of a thing, nowhere near human, blackened all over, with insane, glittering black eyes. He’d also been overly chatty for a nutcase with a dried-out strip of jerky for a tongue. And I had thrown a silver knife into his throat to shut him up.

In hindsight I could see that might have been unwise.

FTC Advisory: Penguin/Roc provided me with a copy of Dark Heir. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2016 |
The Son of Darkness escapes Leo's sub-basement five. In the process he attacks and hurts Jane. She then has to fight the poison and black magic trying to kill her. Jane gets help from Bruiser on vamp history that goes all the way back to the beginning of the series and helps her understand how her actions may have affected what is going on now. Molly comes to town as part of the Witch Convention preparation and helps. Her Death Magic is still affecting her, but something happens that might have changed that.

The Younger Brothers, Eli and Alex are not only business partners, but Jane recognizes that they are her family. There's talk of doing a Cherokee ceremony to formalize this bond. Both brothers show their caring by having done research into her heritage.

Yeah, Jane has angst to deal with, but there's not growth without recognizing it and trying to learn from it. Still enjoying the heck out of this series and looking forward to more Jane Yellowrock. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Shapeshifting skinwalker Jane Yellowrock is the best in the business when it comes to slaying vampires, but her latest fanged foe may be above her pay grade. One of the strongest vampire witches of the European Council is set to create some havoc in the city of New Orleans, and it’s definitely personal. Jane is tasked with tracking him down. She and her partners will have to put everything on the line and hope it’s enough. Okay, I have to admit that this series is a guilty pleasure. It’s shallow and violent and snarky. It’s overblown and wild. I LOVE it. Just..just.. I’ll be over here.. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
To my Renaissance Man,
who can fix anything, who has an open mind-set,
a generous heart,
and who puts up with my still being
“such a strange little girl”

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible