The Corpse Who Walked in the Door (Grace…

The Corpse Who Walked in the Door (Grace Cassidy Mystery Book 2)

by Jackie King

312,001,085 (3.67)None
Recently added byazroadrunner88, Carolee888

Bravo for this cozy! I really enjoyed it but there is something strange about this story. Even though it was set in the present day, I kept thinking of it being set in the Victorian times! It must have been the old Wimberly Estate, the setting for a bed and breakfast. Or could it be because the main character, Grace Cassidy didn’t care much for modern technology? Nevertheless the Corpse Who Walked in the Door by Jackie King is an outstanding cozy mystery. I missed the first book but this works exceptionally well as a standalone.

Grace the sleuth and a minimum wage inn sitter didn’t always have to watch her pennies. She was married to Charles Cassidy who ran off with Clover McBride. He took his fortune with him and left her penniless. Now Grace had change into a wage earner for herself and her grownup son, Brand. Brand makes more worries for her, but she is able to deal with it. She sometimes seems on the verge of losing it but she finds her way through all of her stresses.

Wilbur Wimberly is a very trying boss to have. He is always in a bad mood and could best described as mean and nasty. Wilbur usually screams when Grace’s cat, Trouble, gives him a dead mouse but one day, he screamed again when his long presumed dead brother, William, aka Billy Wimberly walks in the door. What a shock! He been presumed to be dead for years.

All of the characters in this book are very quirky. I loved them all. Jackie King did a great job developing all of them. The mystery is twisty so much that I missed guessing the true killer. Jackie put in just the right amount of secondary characters and I won’t forget any of them! Plus there is plenty of humor and charm in this story. It is not often that a cozy can be poignant or deal with great sadness but Jackie King guides expertly and gently through those moments.

If you are cozy mystery lover, you will definitely not regret reading this one. I am ready to either read the first in this series or the next upcoming one.

I received this book from author after picking from a list from Partners in Crime. That had no effect on my thoughts and feelings in this review. ( )
  Carolee888 | Sep 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,843,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible