Blood Red by Jason Bovberg
92950,433 (3)None

This book sounded right up my alley, but once I started reading it was apparent it was clearly not for me. I just can't get behind a female protagonist that is portrayed as weak and/or helpless. It's the end of the world and you encounter your dead boyfriend. What do you do? I'm pretty sure you don't think about how you'd like to be lying in bed with them and reminiscing about all the times you've, uh, spent there. But it'll be all good if you can just find you're missing dad because he'll know what to do. Why? What makes you think he knows any more about what's going on than you do? There's more - and this is just in the first few chapters - but I'm not going to write a novel about it. I realize the snark-factor is high, but I'm really sick of starting books that sound interesting, have 4-star ratings, then getting disappointed (and, at times, insulted). ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
Review copy

I'm always hesitant to read a book from someone who reaches out to me requesting a review, particularly if I've not read any of the author's previous work. However, if I say no, then I would miss out on surprises like Blood Red.

The story features a strong teenager named Rachel who, in the space of an hour, sees her entire world become a red-tinted nightmare. Most of the people in her world are gone, well not completely gone, they seem to be becoming something else. No this is not another zombie novel. What is happening is decidedly different and completely original in the horror genre.

Blood Red is filled with little treats, details that make the story. Example, with darkness coming there's a need for light. Instead of conveniently finding a flashlight in her Honda's glove compartment. The writer had Rachel and her friend break into a Target store by the light of a cell phone until it runs out of juice. A well-conceived scene played out to perfection.

Blood Red is incredibly imaginative and reveals its secrets slowly. Even though its a work of fantastical fiction dealing with impossibilities, I found the story to be believable and totally enjoyable.

Although we get some answers by the end of book 1, its quite evident that there is plenty left to be revealed in the subsequent volumes.

Published by Permuted Press, Blood Red is available now as an e-book from the usual online retailers. If you like it, book 2 is also available and book 3 should be published later this year. I'll be reading both for sure.

Highly recommended. ( )
  FrankErrington | May 28, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,499,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible