The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

The Kind Worth Killing

by Peter Swanson

From my blog

This book is the Champion of Coincidence. In the moment I understand not questioning parts but for the reader is makes you smile and at the end I had a good laugh at the expense of the characters. I am surprised this came out last year, I don't think I heard much about it but can see it being on Thriller fans to be read list.

The intro fascinated me, strangers, Lily and Ted meet at an airport bar and over drinks plan to kill Ted's wife. Okay, realistic NO, but maybe for a murderer this is normal behaviour. Grief, alcohol, anger and feelings of revenge, oh the thrill of planning a murder for the fun of it then realize your new friend is serious. I started to get turned off by the ludicrous story-line then BAM you are like what the hell just happened, laugh and continue on in disbelief.

'And while I was agreeing what kept me going was the knowledge that she was going to die, and I was going to be the one who made that happen. I thought about it constantly, turning the idea around in my mind like looking at a diamond from every possible perspective, looking for flaws or cracks, looking for guilt or second thoughts, and I ground none. Kindle 15%

This thriller was entertaining and I couldn't stop reading because I just had to know how it all was entangled and would end. This was a chess game but who wins?

'We understood that survival was everything. It was the meaning of life. And to take another life was, in many ways, the greatest expression of what it meant to be alive. Kindle 69%

I thought Lily was the best character and we got to understand background story which helped the present and future. The Detective on the case I really enjoyed and wish he didn't become so taken by Lily that it became stalker like, I wish it was just amazing detective work.

The ending of the book was brilliant, I laughed out loud, all the coincidences will come crashing down. Loved it. Overall I did enjoy but the beginning before the BAM made it hard to get into for me. Also, each chapter was told from a character but this overall needs better execution, improvement over time from the author. I loved the title of this book, superb. ( )
  marcejewels | Dec 28, 2017 |
This started off very cliche-y, but was worth sticking with it until the end. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Dec 21, 2017 |
This book is all about the unexpected plot twists. ( )
  ChrisWay | Aug 22, 2017 |
5 / 5

RTC ( )
  daydreamofalife | Aug 5, 2017 |
Hello. That is what I said when I got to part two of this book, which was almost to the half way point. This is because this is when the story took a sharp left turn into "holy shit", gamer changer. The intensity of the story just got cranked up. Not that it was boring reading in the first part. In fact, Lily was kind of a chameleon. Her back story was very interesting...starting with her first murder. Yeah, Ted did not truly know who he was dealing with in Lily. If it had not been for Lily, Ted would have been playing second string to his wife for the rest of his life.

Yet, as I said it was the second part and the rest of the story that got really interesting. This is when the story started wrapping up things. However, it was not the end. There was to be a few more twists before the story ended. Maybe a few more bodies as well. The Kind Worth Killing is the kind worth reading. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 24, 2017 |

Houtzager, GuusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Elizabeth Ellis Swanson
Hello there, she said

From the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart—hailed by the Washington Post as crime fiction’s best first novel of 2014”—a devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder that is a modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train.

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that’s going stale and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start—he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit—a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliché.

But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.” After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .

Back in Boston, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily’s past that she hasn’t shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.

Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

"A dark and devious literary suspense novel about a random encounter, sex, and a conversation that quickly turns to murder--a modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith's classic Strangers on a Train--from the author of The Girl with a Clock for a Heart"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,864,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible