The Odyssey by Homer

Authors:Homer
Info:
Rating:*****

The Odyssey by Homer

adventure (222) ancient (246) Ancient Greece (562) Ancient Greek (171) ancient literature (167) classic (1,168) Classic Literature (182) classical (204) classical literature (261) classics (1,997) epic (928) epic poetry (501) fiction (1,760) Greece (663) Greek (1,128) Greek literature (571) greek mythology (310) history (295) Homer (759) literature (1,089) myth (168) mythology (1,409) Odysseus (199) Odyssey (174) own (149) poetry (2,299) read (322) to-read (224) translation (304) unread (166)
    The Iliad by Homer (caflores)
    The Aeneid by Virgil (caflores)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (alalba)
    Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous (chrisharpe)
    The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel by Nikos Kazantzakis (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Only Greece's greatest modern writer would have the nerve and ability to send Odysseus back on his journeying.
    Ulysses by James Joyce (chrisharpe)
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (BookWallah)
    BookWallah: Odysseus & Shackleton both had travails getting home from their epic voyages. Differences in their stories: The former’s took 17 years, lost all his men, & was told as epic poetry. The latter’s took 16 months, saved all his men, & is told as gripping biography.… (more)
    The Lost Books of The Odyssey: A Novel by Zachary Mason (slickdpdx)
    The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson (KayCliff)

English (201)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (229)
Confession time: I managed to make it through high school and an undergrad degree in English without reading The Odyssey or The Iliad.

I know... One of my professors was appalled too. The truth is, as I find verse difficult to being with, epic poetry scares me. If it weren't for a friend's encouragement to read it in tandem, I probably would have let this languish on my shelves even longer despite the fact that I'd purposely bought Robert Fagles' translation as one I could pretty much follow what was happening.

Everyone knows the story the gist of the story, so I'll dispense with the summary. The story starts out slowly with Odysseus' son and what's going on in his absence; it wasn't until around Book 5 that the action started moving along for me. One moment I was moving along swimmingly and the next I was getting bogged down. One moment was boring and the next brutally violent. I knew the end of the story, but I was really surprised by how at once familiar and unfamiliar I was with how the journey played out. On the one hand, I recognized a lot of the characters and incidents. On the other, I had no idea they happened in this particular myth in this particular way. I usually read multiple books, and admittedly this was not the first book I was drawn to read when I had the time, but I kept moving along and - in the end - I'm glad I read it. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 31, 2014 |
La Odisea es un poema de carácter épico que relata las aventuras de Odiseo o Ulises, rey de Itaca y su peregrinación de diez años por el Mediterráneo
  libanesa | Mar 28, 2014 |
One of the greatest heroes of all time, Crafty Odysseus, is the focus of this ancient yet enduring story. The Odyssey is the story of Odysseus' return home from the Trojan War. Odysseus spent 10 years with the other Greeks trying to take down the Trojans. He spends the next ten years trying to return home (difficult when the Gods are against you).

He begins with 12 ships and many crew members. He eventually is a lone man on raft. When he does arrive back in Ithaca he does so incognito, disguised as a beggar. From this vantage he determines who of his household has been loyal and who hasn't. Ultimately, those that have been disloyal or have been preying upon his household are all killed by Odysseus and his son, Telemachus. This is fantastic adventure story.

I listened to this on CD and found the narration quite enjoyable. Stanley Lombardo, the translator, reads the main text and Susan Sarandon reads the general introduction and the introduction to each chapter. Prior to each segment was music--drums, pipe, etc. and the sound of the surf--a nice touch. ( )
  bibliostuff | Mar 20, 2014 |
An epic tale of Odysseus as he makes he journey back home from the Trojan war. Lost at sea for 6 years trying to get home to his wife, he encounters many obstacles such as sirens, cyclopes, and sea creatures! This tale, has plenty of room for interpretation and meaning behind it which would make for a great book to share in a middle to high school class room. Not only is it entertaining but it give a slight historical account of the Trojan war. The students will be able to take an abundance of knowledge such as moral and ethical dilemmas as well as recognizing personal growth. I remember reading this book in middle school and I would recommend it to anyone who has the desire for adventure and the open mindedness and the willingness to learn that needs to be present during the story. ( )
  Keller_M | Mar 13, 2014 |
Not for the faint of heart. But well worth the read. ( )
  mlyons1 | Feb 12, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Much have I travelled in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
He stared at the Pacific--and all his men
Looked at each other with a wild surmise--
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

John Keats
for my sons and daughters - Translator's dedication (Fitzgerald, 1963)
For Lynne
su gar m'ebiôsao, kourê - Translator's dedication (Fagles, 1996)
By now the other warriors, those that had escaped headlong ruin by sea or in battle, were safely home.
Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns driven time and again off course, once he had plundered the hallowed heights of Troy.
Tell me Muse, of the man of many ways, who was driven far journeys, after he had sacked Troy's sacred citadel.
(Lattimore translation}
The Odyssey is the epic poem about the great adventurer Odysseus. After the great fall of Troy, Odysseus has some difficulties finding his way back to Ithaca. He encounters sirens, giants and many other mythical creatures and it takes him 10 years to find his way home. I enjoyed this book because it of the mythology and the adventure that it portrays and I think it is a good read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140268863, Paperback)

Robert Fagles's translation is a jaw-droppingly beautiful rendering of Homer's Odyssey, the most accessible and enthralling epic of classical Greece. Fagles captures the rapid and direct language of the original Greek, while telling the story of Odysseus in lyrics that ring with a clear, energetic voice. The story itself has never seemed more dynamic, the action more compelling, nor the descriptions so brilliant in detail. It is often said that every age demands its own translation of the classics. Fagles's work is a triumph because he has not merely provided a contemporary version of Homer's classic poem, but has located the right language for the timeless character of this great tale. Fagles brings the Odyssey so near, one wonders if the Hollywood adaption can be far behind. This is a terrific book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:16 -0400)

A new translation of the epic poem retells the story of Odysseus's ten-year voyage home to Ithaca after the Trojan War.

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140268863, 0140275363, 0143039954, 0140445927, 0140449116, 0140383093, 0451530683, 0141192445

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible