No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Odyssey by Homer

The Iliad by Homer (caflores)
    The Aeneid by Virgil (caflores)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (alalba)
    Ulysses by James Joyce (chrisharpe)
    Homer's Daughter by Robert Graves (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: Robert Graves took the story of "The Odyssey's" authorship and expounds on the theory that it was written by a woman. This is a novel based on that idea.
    Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Gawain Poet (chrisharpe)
    The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel by Nikos Kazantzakis (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Only Greece's greatest modern writer would have the nerve and ability to send Odysseus back on his journeying.
    Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques & Discoveries of the English Nation by Richard Hakluyt (KayCliff)
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    Antigone / Oedipus at Colonus / Oedipus Rex by Sophocles (chwiggy)
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (BookWallah)
    BookWallah: Odysseus & Shackleton both had travails getting home from their epic voyages. Differences in their stories: The former’s took 17 years, lost all his men, & was told as epic poetry. The latter’s took 16 months, saved all his men, & is told as gripping biography.… (more)
    The Lost Books of The Odyssey: A Novel by Zachary Mason (slickdpdx)
    The Battle Of The Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson (KayCliff)

English (247)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (8)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  All (1)  German (1)  Russian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (283)
This is a surprisingly accessible audio version of the ancient Greek classic. Read by Sir Ian McKellen, this translation brings all of the adventure and heartbreak of the Odyssey to life. If you want to revisit the epic poem or join Odysseus for the first time, I highly recommend this audio version. ( )
  CORobb | Mar 26, 2017 |

Ever since I first read Homer’s Odyssey and the adventures of Odysseus back in my school days, three of his adventures have fired my imagination: The Lotus Eaters, The Cyclops and the Sirens, most especially the Sirens. I just did revisit these sections of this Greek epic and my imagination was set aflame yet again. How much, you ask? I’d like to share this microfiction of mine published a number of years ago:

The Sirens

This happened back in those days when I was a member of an experimental performing-arts troupe down in Greenwich Village. We would read poetry, dance and act out avant-garde plays in our dilapidated little theater. For a modest charge people could come in and watch for as long as they wanted.
Somehow, a business executive who worked downtown in the financial district heard of what we were doing and spoke with our director about an act he has all worked out but needed a supporting cast and that he would pay handsomely if we went along with him.

Well, experimental is experimental and if we were going to be well paid we had nothing to lose. The first thing he did was pass out our costumes. In addition to himself, he had parts for three men and three women. The play we were to perform was so simple we didn’t even need a written script. He was to be Odysseus from Homer’s epic and three men would be his sailors. As for the women, we would be the singing Sirens.

So, after he changed – quite a sight in a loincloth, being gray-haired, jowly, pasty-skinned and potbellied – we went on stage and he told the sailors how no man has ever heard the hypnotic songs of the Sirens and lived to tell the tale but he, mighty Odysseus, would be the first. He instructed the sailors to tie him to the ship’s mast. They used one of the building’s pillars and when he cried out as the Sirens sang their song the sailors, who had wax in their ears, were to bind him to the mast even tighter.

Meanwhile, three of us ladies were on stage as the Sirens, in costume, bare-breasted and outfitted with wings. We began singing a sweet, lilting melody. Mike – that was the businessman’s name – started screaming and the sailors tightened the ropes that bound him. The sailors were glad their ears were plugged as Mike screamed for nearly half an hour.

When the ship passed out of earshot of the Sirens, the sailors unbound mighty Odysseus and he collapsed on our makeshift stage, a mass of exhausted middle-aged flesh. The audience applauded, even cheered and we continued our performance of Odysseus and the Sirens every night for more than a week. Then one night Mike outdid himself. His blue eyes bulged, the veins in his neck popped and his face turned a deeper blood-scarlet than ever before. And what I feared might happen, did happen – Mike had a heart attack. We had to interrupt our performance and call an ambulance.

We all thought that was the end of our dealing with Mike aka Odysseus until our director received a call from the hospital. Mike told her he was going to be just fine and would be back on stage next week. We called a meeting and everyone agreed that we would suggest Mike seek psychiatric help but if he insists on playing Odysseus, he will have to take his act elsewhere.
  GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |
I read this for school my freshman year and liked it a lot. It's the ultimate adventure story. It has all kinds of interesting characters. Even the suitors are fairly interesting, as detestable as they are. The main protagonist, Odysseus, is smart and cunning enough and good hearted ultimately, but he has his downfalls. He's cocky and arrogant and does really stupid things (like taking credit for things the gods did for him),which is the reason he doesn't get home to his land of Ithaca to be with his wife Penelope and son Telemachus after twenty years since he won the Trojan War. He's also a huge Casanova, sleeping with all these lovely ladies (to his credit, he was advised to sleep with one of them) while his wife Penelope loyally waits for his return (though, starting to think he's dead) and faithfully rejects her suitors' advances and proposals, which is kind of a double standard, but I can overlook that. It is an old story. It's not exactly going to be very feminist-friendly, is it? Odysseus is clever, though, and mostly smart, like when he has the idea to get the Cyclops drunk, telling the Cyclops his name is Nobody, and then take out his only eye and then have his men and him escape riding under sheep while the Cyclops screams that Nobody is hurting him. Of course, that's right before Odysseus lets his pride get to him, effectively ticking off the Cyclops' father, Poseidon, god of the sea.

The first time I read it, it was in class and for the most part, my English teacher mostly just summed up the events and then had us watch the 1997 movie adaptation. And then this year I actually read the story and loved it. ( )
1 vote kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
Great read!

Again, just like The Iliad, this requires a few minutes of reading before one gets into it. The pleasant repititions, the simple yet almost formal way of talking, or of narrating, and the plain absurdity of the story make the Homeric epics books unlike anything I've ever read. There's is so much energy, and this translation specifically deserves to be be performed, to be read aloud.
  bartt95 | Jan 15, 2017 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 29, 2016 |

Many people may think that Homers Odyssey is fiction but I believe it to be an eye witness account of actual happenengs

Homerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Tell me, O muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy.
The Odyssey is the epic poem about the great adventurer Odysseus. After the great fall of Troy, Odysseus has some difficulties finding his way back to Ithaca. He encounters sirens, giants and many other mythical creatures and it takes him 10 years to find his way home. I enjoyed this book because it of the mythology and the adventure that it portrays and I think it is a good read.
Greek hero of Troy
Takes long time getting back home
Having  adventures.
(pickupsticks)
Son wants his Paw home;
Paw away on business trip--
Sneaks home for bloodbath.
(LeBoeuf)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140268863, Paperback)

Robert Fagles's translation is a jaw-droppingly beautiful rendering of Homer's Odyssey, the most accessible and enthralling epic of classical Greece. Fagles captures the rapid and direct language of the original Greek, while telling the story of Odysseus in lyrics that ring with a clear, energetic voice. The story itself has never seemed more dynamic, the action more compelling, nor the descriptions so brilliant in detail. It is often said that every age demands its own translation of the classics. Fagles's work is a triumph because he has not merely provided a contemporary version of Homer's classic poem, but has located the right language for the timeless character of this great tale. Fagles brings the Odyssey so near, one wonders if the Hollywood adaption can be far behind. This is a terrific book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

A new translation of the epic poem retells the story of Odysseus's ten-year voyage home to Ithaca after the Trojan War.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140268863, 0143039954, 0140449116, 0451530683, 0141192445

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible