The Surgeon's Mate (1980)

by Patrick O'Brian

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (7)

Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin are ordered home by dispatch vessel to bring the news of their latest victory to the government. But Maturin is a marked man for the havoc he has wrought in the French intelligence network in the New World, and the attention of two privateers soon becomes menacing. The chase that follows through the fogs and shallows of the Grand Banks is as tense, and as unexpected in its culmination, as anything Patrick O'Brian has written.… (more)
Recently added byMendoLibrary, gilgalad, private library, jcoyte, Steve_Walker, gneoflavio

English (31)  Swedish (2)  Czech (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (37)
Good God these books are incredible. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Mar 20, 2020 |
O'Brian delivers with his typical excellence. Thumping storyline, evocative prose, rich characterisation and you feel like you're reading a combination of an exhilarating page-turner and a thoroughly reasearched naval history tome. ( )
  malcrf | Dec 16, 2019 |
Excellent ending! Both unexpected, despite the title, and wholly entertaining to the very last word. The shifting third person once in a while made me wonder whose head we had just been in, but never interfered with the story, and gave a nice glimpse into the mind of each main character.
Highly recommended. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Book seven in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series features some complications in the personal lives of its characters on land and a delicate mission for them to carry out by sea.

I really enjoyed this one. Like many of them, it maybe gets a bit slow in the middle, but even during long passages about doing things with sails, I never stopped thinking happily about how much I like these characters. And the ending is fantastic, full of engaging and unexpected developments. I swear, there was one moment when I actually exclaimed out loud as I was reading. ( )
1 vote bragan | May 2, 2019 |

Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mariae sacrum.
The long harbour of Halifax in Nova Scotia on a long, long summer's day, and two frigates gliding in on the tide of flood under their topsails alone: the first, since she had belonged to the United States navy until a few days before, wore the Stars and Stripes under a white ensign; the second showed no more than her own shabby colours, for she was HMS Shannon, the winner in that short and bloody action with the Chesapeake.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393308200, 039303707X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,637,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible