The Last Escaper by Peter Tunstall

The Last Escaper

by Peter Tunstall

1502 (1) biography (1) cover-hb (1) ETO (1) memoir (1) military (1) military flight (1) POW (3) WWII (2)

I believe this the first book I have read about WWII escapes in Germany. Seen several movies. The author has an interesting story both before and during his tenure at a POW. The author was a colorful character. His exploits are movie material. As a matter of fact, I recall that a couple of movies that include the exact scenes he mentions in the book. The Great Escape merged several different people descriptions into that movie (though not located at Codlitz). Years ago I remember a film titled, "The Birdmen". This flick seemed to include various character and site descriptions that could have come out of this book. Published in 2015, these prior movies must have taken their scripts from other sources with the same background as the author.

I think the descriptions of Douglas Bader and his antics add to the book's content. Bader was a disabled pilot who, after losing his legs, actually continued flying in the war until taken a POW. I understand he wrote a book that might be worth reading.

I don't have the book available with me right now. However, I recall that one of the POW camp German commandants wrote a related book that also looks interesting.

A worthy read and addition to my library. ( )
  usma83 | Jul 25, 2016 |
Having always liked escape stories, I found this book to be a very good read. In addition, I have had a long time interest in aviation and this book being about a WWII British bomber pilot's experiences flying missions near the beginning of the war, was truly a fascinating read. I almost regretted the prison part of the book, because the aviation tales were finished. Taken together however, the entire story made for a great read. In the last part of the book, the afterword, the author gives his reasoning to try and justify the widespread bombing of Germany. He states that one had to have lived through the experiences of WWII, to able to understand the dire need to use this method of warfare. The world was a very different place 70 years ago!
  mcola | Mar 13, 2015 |

"The riveting untold story of the legendary World War II bomber pilot, "cooler king," and arch escape artist. The product of a lifetime's reflection, "The Last Escaper "is Peter Tunstall's unforgettable memoir of his days in the British Royal Air Force and as one of the most celebrated British POWs of World War II. Tunstall was an infamous tormentor of his German captors. Dubbed the "cooler king" on account of his long spells in solitary, he once dropped a water "bomb" directly in the lap of a high-ranking German officer. He also devised an ingenious method for smuggling coded messages back to London. But above all he was a highly skilled pilot, loyal friend, and trusted colleague. Without false pride or bitterness, Tunstall recounts the hijinks of training to be a pilot, terrifying bombing raids, and elaborate escape attempts at once hilarious and deadly serious--all part of a poignant and human war story superbly told by a natural raconteur. "The Last Escaper "is a captivating final testament by the "last man standing" from the Greatest Generation."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible