Perilous Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Great series a must read ( )
  Grandy | Jul 8, 2014 |
After I finished the first book Beckoning Light, I immediately picked up the second, Perilous Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy.

It is unusual that the second book is stronger than the first, but this is by far the better book. We get more adventure, more development of the characters, and a better look at this other world.

Perilous Light takes place a year after the end of the last book. Our main protagonist, Charlotte, has been struggling with being away from her soulmate, or Gerard, who still remains in the other world. She is surrounded by several other guys (Guardians) to protect her from the evil Blake. They adventure back to that world to band with the other rebels to take back their freedom. Kevin, her sibling, once again joins her, and we get the perspective for the first time of Calvin, her Gerard.

As I said before, this is the stronger novel. I loved all the developments, the twists, etc. I absolutely loved that a hint that was placed in the first novel does get revealed in this one. Ivy certainly knows how to plot and wait to reveal her secrets. There's a couple of issues (mainly just personal preference)-- I know why she does several perspectives, but I'm not a huge fan of that. I think it's much more difficult, but almost more rewarding if we only see things from one perspective. I'm also a little confused at times why she selects certain passages to be in one character's perspective when it mostly affects the other.

That said, I greatly enjoyed this book. I rarely get so into a trilogy that I will definitely pick up the next book, but I am eagerly awaiting the third and final book. I am interested to see what she will do with Liam, as I think he will end up being more important than he is already (at least I hope so!), as I think he is the most compelling male character.

Overall, a very enjoyable read, great characters and terrific plotting. ( )
  chickey1981 | May 27, 2012 |

Alyssa Rose Ivy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible