Malaria, Poems by Cameron Conaway

Malaria, Poems

by Cameron Conaway

91950,433 (4.5)None

I purchased "Malaria, Poems" because I am a fan of Cameron Conaway ever since I read "Caged". I like his style of raw poetry mixed with unique insight and social commentary. I purchased this book because I am an advocate in the fight against malaria, but I had to admit that I don't know as much about malaria as I thought. Since I didn't know about malaria like I thought, I decided to see how Cameron Conaway would treat the subject.

"Malaria Poems" is an eclectic and unique collection of verse, fact, and social commentary that really captures the essence of humanity's interaction with malaria. On the one hand, it is hauntingly poetic "Mirror" and even unusual "Lens" to small compositions like "Vaccine", which details the inner thoughts and views of a medical worker who is preparing the vaccine. That mix of poetry and prose, though, gives you a better perspective on what malaria is. You get to see the perspective of malaria from many different angles-from a female mosquito, an infected person, a person who has the privilege of a malaria vaccine. I actually haven't read about malaria from that kind of perspective before. I know a little about malaria, but never really took the time to "know" about malaria. This book showed me the depths that malaria goes. It is not just a disease "over there". It is something that affects us all. Conaway's book shows that in elegant beauty in a variety of ways with word. Conaway has an excellent perception and insight as a poet.

For me, the book was like Tyler Durden from "Fight Club" if he decided to write a book about malaria. It would be short, haunting, and insightful, just like this book was. ( )
  thecharlesiwas | Nov 25, 2014 |

Malaria kills nearly one million people each year. Hundreds of millions more are sickened by the disease, and many of them are permanently disabled. Billions are spent each year to understand it. Researchers know the molecular details of the interaction between the mosquito and our own red blood cells, and the myriad ways in which malaria impacts the global economy and the advancement of humanity. But what of the public? Though its story is told in thousands of articles and in hundreds of books, many in the developed world are unaware of how prevalent malaria still is. Malaria, Poems testifies to the importance of bridging the chasm between science and art. It adds thread to a tattered and tragic global narrative; it is poetry's attempt to reawaken care in a cold case that keeps killing. According to Cicero the aim of the orator is threefold: to teach, to delight, and to move. Poets during the renaissance embraced this idea, and Malaria, Poems reinvigorates it. Allen Ginsberg called for a poetry of social consciousness, a 'bare knuckle warrior poetics.' Cameron Conaway, a former MMA fighter, offers Malaria, Poems both as a response to Ginsberg's call and as a new call to contemporary poetry.… (more)

Cameron Conaway is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,769,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible