The Rabbit Ate My Homework by Rachel…

The Rabbit Ate My Homework

by Rachel Elizabeth Cole

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. (contains mild plot spoiler) When 6th grader Drew breaks a rule and gets himself into trouble, he finds himself being blackmailed by his little sister into caring for a rabbit without his mom and dad's knowledge, since they would not approve of any pet. After a few more mishaps all stemming from his poor decisions, Drew's life seems out of control, at school and at home.

The story is a fast and entertaining read, full of plot twists and crisp, clear imagery. The author does a great job of creating tension in the story and developing the characters, making me want to keep turning the pages.

The only thing that troubled me about the book, which is intended for middle grade kids (eight to twelve-years) is that the cover is so sweet, cute, and friendly that I thought this book was aimed at perhaps a six-to-eight year-old audience. The adorable rabbit on the cover and even the title don't necessarily fit some of the angst and middle school drama, and grown-up (though not inappropriate) language and thought processes that go on in the book. A younger child could certainly read the book, as it's entirely 'G-rated' and 'easy' enough, but he or she may not understand the difficulties that an older child of this (middle school) age is going through, so might not 'get' the story as well as an eleven or twelve-year-old. This was the case with my eight-year-old son who tried to read it and only got about a third of the way because he couldn't quite relate to the problems. I think he will enjoy it in a few more years, however, and I will have him give it another try then. As long as you know this book is, in my opinion, for and about about eleven- to twelve year-olds, however, this isn't a problem. It's a great story and teaches a valuable lesson in the end as well. Great book.
  shanagorian | Oct 3, 2017 |
It was really very cute. :) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
This is a cute book for intermediate grades. I read it to my little ones, and while they weren't fond of it at the beginning, by the time I got about halfway through, my 3 year old started asking for it. Turned out her only complaint was a lack of pictures, which of course wouldn't be an issue for its intended audience. I must say, as an adult reading a children's book, I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed the imagery portrayed in it. It took me back to the books I read in mass quantities in grade school.

*I received this book free in exchange for an honest review ( )
  UrbanAudreyE | Apr 5, 2016 |
The Rabbit Ate My Homework
Story about Drew and his Dad is going to find time so they can ride bikes this weekend. Problem is he needs to do the lawn, and now it's broken.
He takes off on his bike and he knows the rules but after he's ridden up the same road for a while he wants to venture elsewhere so goes just one street over...
Some illustrations but no color photos. Lots more adventures Drew gets into... ( )
  jbarr5 | Dec 28, 2015 |
It all starts when Drew gets upset because his father won't keep his word and go to a bike ride in the woods with him. Drew decides then to go by himself, even he knows he is not suppose to go there alone. He jumps with his bike, even he knows he is not suppose to do so. The obvious happens: the bike's suspension fork breaks. Ok. He still can get this better. He can tell what happened, apologize, and promise do not do it again. Well... he doesn't. Drew hides his bike in the woods instead.

When the following day they find a little bunny in a box, Libby his younger sister insist in bring it home. Drew explains that their parents would never, ever receive the pet. But Libby knows where Drew's bike is, and why is there, and he threatens him with telling their parents about it if he doesn't help her to hide the bunny. That's how Tiny ends hidden in Drew's closet, peeing everywhere and eating everything he can find. This snow ball will only get bigger until finally end in a huge avalanche.

This story was totally engaging. The characters are so likable. I loved the author's humor. The pace of the story was perfect. I was glad when finally all this mess ended, and the way it was solved. The message was clearly delivered without being discursive at all. I'm really looking forward to read the next book in he series, The rabbit ate my flip flops.

Age range: 8 to 12 years old.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Check out more children's book reviews in my Reviews in Chalk Blog! ( )
  Sanlema | Nov 9, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rachel Elizabeth Cole's book The Rabbit Ate My Homework was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Rachel Elizabeth Cole is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,513,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible