French Comfort Food by Hillary Davis

French Comfort Food

by Hillary Davis

This cover of "French Comfort Food" caught my eye at the library. Isn't it pretty?

I'm willing to try new foods and recipes so I was excited to give this one a go. Two favorites here, French and comfort foods but I have a few requirements for cookbooks before I buy..more on that in a minute.

I tried at least a dozen recipes. Main dishes and desserts. I didn't mind the occasional substitutions (e.g. pre-packaged puff pastry) and the departure from the everyday was more than welcome.

Favorites were
Page 51: Individual Caramelized Onion and Roquefort Clafoutis.
Page 67: Irresistible Potato, Cheese, and Cream Casserole.
Page 68: Tart Apple Turnovers
Page 81: Crispy Cinnamon Walnut Chocolate Palmiers
Page 129: Potato, Bacon, Cheese, and Wine Casserole

And the soups were incredible.

Photographs and recipe outline are a big thing for me. A cookbook can hold great photos but contain a lousy recipe layout, or vice versa. I, personally, am a stickler about both. Hillary Davis accomplished an easily navigated reading format, excellent recipes, and beautiful photos (of which, could have been more, but not at the loss of recipes). I was so impressed I bought the book in a hardcopy. Its quite beautiful. ( )
1 vote fueledbycoffee | Apr 25, 2015 |

NATIONAL & REGIONAL CUISINE. In France, people take pride in preserving the recipes of their regional heritage and deeply rooted traditions. What has remained true over time is that the French have a determined hold on their beloved regional classic dishes, the ones they grew up with that their mothers and grandmothers and grandmothers before them made--French comfort food. Collected here are recipes from friends and acquaintances Hillary Davis has made while living in France, recipes handed down through the years as well as modern family remakes of the originals. With these resources, plus referring to her hundreds of well-worn cookbooks, Davis has brought together her favorite comfort food recipes from France, with a hope that they will inspire and charm you, showing just how fabulous good home-cooked food from France can be.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible