The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane by…

The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane

by Elizabeth Boyle

Series: Rhymes With Love (Oct 2014 - Book 4)

This is the fifth story in this series that I've read, and truly the most fun book I've read in a very long time. I chuckled, giggled and down right laughed out loud at some of the antics of this heroine.

Both characters are extremely likable and fun to be around. They made for an entertaining and very passionate creatures. To watch them manipulating each other and work around the situations they find themselves in, was very gratifying. It was like watching a train wreck and not being able to avert your eyes!

By the time they reach their happily ever after and we see how much each has changed because of the other, we have a story that is sweet, sensual and funny to no end.

If you need a lighthearted bit of romance, you must read this. Oh, and let me not forget the cat, Hannibal, who's a character all his own ;)

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
4 Stars | Hot Steam
I can't believe I haven't tried Elizabeth Boyle's historicals until now! Shame on me! Her writing is superb! Perfectly plotted, intricate but light, charming, and wonderfully sensual.
Louisa and Pierson's romance kept me up for hours last night! There is nothing quite like a scarred, grumpy, and dashing man and a sunny and lovely girl next door who views his "no" as a challenge.
I can't wait to continue the series and see what happens to Lavinia, Tuck, Roselie, and Brody. I'm hooked! ( )
  TheLustyLiterate | Sep 9, 2016 |
I picked up this audiobook from my library (via Overdrive)... and my library had it listed as first in the series. Not until about halfway through did I look at Goodreads and see its actually fourth! Argh! This makes me twitchy with self-diagnosed reading OCD. I must read things in order! Shame on you Nola Public Library for contributing to my crazy.

Anyway, despite reading these way out of order - I LOVED THIS AUDIOBOOK! The story was cute as all get out. I loved the characters, even Hannibal the Demon cat. I laughed, I cried, I smiled alot. The narrator was fan-freaking-tastic, she was very posh and British and added a great element to the story.

Our heroine, Louisa, is a twin who has traveled to London for a season because her sister, Lavinia, wants to get married. The Tempest twins bear a surname that is apropos because they leave absolute chaos in their wake. Both are extremely clumsy and accident-prone, which rather reminded me of myself. This is Louisa's story, which is somewhat intertwined with Lavinia's story, Knave of Hearts, which will be released later this year.

Upon arriving in London, Louisa's hellcat, Hannibal, bounds off into her neighbor's house creating mass havoc. The neighbor is our hero, Lord Wakefield, and a reclusive war veteran who has not left his residence since returning home injured from the Napoleanic War. Louisa invades his home and life like an aptly-named tempest, determined to do the neighborly thing and put his household to rights whether he likes it or not. As you can imagine, the well-meaning goofball klutz creates more havoc than order, and hilarity ensues. But it turns out that havoc is just what Wakefield needed to bring him out of his drunken stupor and back to the living.

This was a sweet lighthearted romance with a few steamy encounters along the way. Don't think the story had only the neighborly interaction though, there was a little bit of everything to satisfy the avid historical romance reader including the season, Almack's, shopping, gossip, scandal, carriage rides in the park, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this one and look forward to going back to start the series from the beginning. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.75

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Viscount Who Lived down the Lane by Elizabeth Boyle was an emotionally fun read!

Read It File It Thoughts (short review): This was my kind of historical romance: issues dealt with, spunky leading lady (with a bit of a meddlesome personality), damaged leading man (war damage), and a story that made me both laugh & tear up! Miss Tempest is going down as one of my favorite leading ladies!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Susan Duerden / Length: 10 hrs and 34 mins

I am a fan of Susan's narration skills. She has great pacing! She can make spunky characters shine and her male voices aren't bad either. Historical romance and her voice are a great match! ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 25, 2015 |
Days upon days filled with rain and then finishing a heavy and disturbing book prior to this one called for lighter fare with a guaranteed happily ever after. Elizabeth Boyle writes charming characters and entertaining situations in her Regency set Rhymes With Love series, the latest of which is The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane. And that was just exactly what the doctor ordered.

Miss Louisa Tempest and her twin sister Lavinia are headed to London from their village of Kempton to have a season sponsored by their godmother, Lady Charleton. Louisa has no interest in tempting fate in the form of the curse against the women of Kempton marrying but her sister wants very much to have a season and so Louisa is determined to support her. Their visit gets off on the worst possible foot right from the get go. First, Louisa's mangy looking cat, Hannibal, breaks out of his basket and streaks into the house next door to Charleton's. When Louisa goes post haste to retrieve him, she not only finds a path of broken things in his wake, but she encounters the very angry and disheveled Viscount Wakefield who is beyond annoyed that the cat and this miss have disturbed his peace. Second, she discovers that Lady Charleton has been dead for some time and that the still grieving Lord Charleton had no knowledge of their impending arrival. But he is loathe to turn away the girls because his late wife wanted it and so he arranges to have them brought out anyway to the delight of Lavinia and the consternation of Louisa.

Since Louisa is not interested in the season and all of the fripperies that accompany it, she instead decides to make amends for Hannibal, who continues to make forays over to Wakefield's home. She fires his thieving cook and then hires him a new, much more competent one. Then she delves into his linen closet to organize it. And finally, banned from the house, she tackles the overgrown mess of his garden. Piers, Lord Wakefield, cannot believe the audacity of the meddling woman, finding himself alternately frustrated and attracted to her. He has been a recluse since he came back from the war badly wounded and devastated by the loss of his dear friend but now Louisa's tempting little behind is forcing him to leave his house and quit brooding all the time.

Louisa is a determined character and her intention of making life a little smoother for the gruff and blustering neighbor is sweetly stubborn. She knows her own shortcomings and forgives herself, generally comfortable in her own skin, and she is very good at looking beyond the exterior to see into the heart of a person or creature. Piers is definitely tortured by what he sees as his role in his friend Poldie's death but his innate kindness is still clear. He might shout and fume and insult but that's just a shield for his own hurting heart. The chemistry between Louisa and Piers is good and the plot moves along at a steady clip. The secondary characters help move the story without intruding too much but they remain interesting enough to warrant reading the next in the series. The ending has a few obviously dangling threads that will be picked up in the next book and there was at least one plot thread in the novel that seemed a dropped opportunity here but will hopefully be addressed later. Boyle knows her time period and manages to create likable and realistic characters who deserve the love and happiness that they inevitably find with each other and this reimaging of the Beauty and the Beast tale shows it. ( )
  whitreidtan | Jan 17, 2015 |

Elizabeth Boyleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duerden, SusanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062283812, Mass Market Paperback)

In New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Boyle's fourth novel in the Rhymes With Love series, a resolute young woman goes toe-to-toe with the Beast of Mayfair

She has no desire for love . . .

As she arrives in Mayfair, Louisa Tempest is horrified when her incorrigible cat bolts from the carriage and dashes into a neighbor's house, where she comes face-to-face with the reclusive Viscount Wakefield. But even more dismaying than his foul temper is the disarray in which she finds his home. Convinced his demeanor would improve if his household were in order, Louisa resolves to put everything to rights.

. . . until she meets the viscount who lives down the lane

Much to his chagrin, Wakefield finds it impossible to keep the meddling Louisa out of his home, invading his daily life with her "improvements," and his nights with the tempting desires she sparks inside him. Wounded in the war, he's scorned society ever since his return . . . until Louisa opens the door to his heart and convinces him to give love a second chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible