The Night Garden by Lisa Van Allen

The Night Garden

by Lisa Van Allen

2.75. I wanted to like this book as I love the magical realism genre. But as others have pointed out, this story had some issues. And so, it just fell flat for me. Plus, I found two typos which distracted me (and I rarely, if ever find typos because I'm usually too engrossed in the story).

wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
I needed a light, easy read and this seemed to fit at first. Ultimately disatisfying, though: the father's role in the poison-skin was not explained very well and the garden wasn't as magical as it might have been. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Good first half, not so much the second half

Pennywort's have lived in Green Valley for over 100 years. It's a small town and every family is know for something. For Olivia Pennywort it's her families farm, especially their maze. For Sam Van Winkle his family have always been heroes. But so far he isn't. Olivia and Sam have always been friends - at least until Sam goes away. Can they rekindle their friendship.

I really enjoyed the first part of the book but then it got a little muddled for me. Part of that has to do with one of the Penny Loafers (a group of women who stay at Olivia's farm) and part with the end, it was almost as if the author just wanted the book to end. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
This is a magical story of a garden and the powers it holds. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Oct 4, 2016 |
A very whimsical, magic trip through a garden maze of rooms, all named to help you find answers that you seek. Where I live it's deep winter here in New England and reading about fresh vegetables from the farm stand and the woods, wondrous mushroom gardens, made me love this book all the more. ( )
  mchwest | Jan 22, 2015 |

For fans of Sarah Addison Allen, Aimee Bender, and Alice Hoffman, The Night Garden is a luminous novel of love, forgiveness, and the possibilities that arise when you open your heart.

Nestled in the bucolic town of Green Valley in upstate New York, the Pennywort farm appears ordinary, yet at its center lies something remarkable: a wild maze of colorful gardens that reaches beyond the imagination. Local legend says that a visitor can gain answers to life’s most difficult problems simply by walking through its lush corridors.

Yet the labyrinth has never helped Olivia Pennywort, the garden’s beautiful and enigmatic caretaker. She has spent her entire life on her family’s land, harboring a secret that forces her to keep everyone at arm’s length. But when her childhood best friend, Sam Van Winkle, returns to the valley, Olivia begins to question her safe, isolated world and wonders if she at last has the courage to let someone in. As she and Sam reconnect, Olivia faces a difficult question: Is the garden maze that she has nurtured all of her life a safe haven or a prison?

Praise for Lisa Van Allen’s The Wishing Thread

“Reader to reader, knitter to knitter: You’re going to love this book.”—Debbie Macomber

“Whimsical . . . great for fans of Sarah Addison Allen and Alice Hoffman.”Library Journal

Look for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader’s Circle for author chats and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

"In the Pennywort [farm], there is a garden of edible flowers, a garden meant for touching, and one in which the flowers only bloom at night ... Since her mother's death 5 years ago, Olivia has been carrying on her legacy, caring for Pennywort Gardens and running an informal program that provides safe haven to women in exchange for their help with the lush gardens. The townspeople hate having what they call a 'halfway house' around, and Olivia's neighbors are convinced she's using more than her allotment of water in a drought year, and keep calling the police. But Olivia has secrets of her own and needs everyone to just keep their distance"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,486,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible