In Time for Christmas -- a Novella by…

In Time for Christmas -- a Novella

by Heather Blanton

The beginning of the story is quite hard to read at times when we meet Charlene. She is a pretty woman who is in a very violent marriage. The beatings she takes are horrendous and she feels hopeless and trapped. I've often heard people ask why women stay in abusuve relationships. For Charlene she does it to protect others. As you read the story you will understand her sacrifice and love for others. I loved how she cried out to God for help. Her faith was so powerful and I loved how the author showed that through Charlene 's actions.

Dale is Charlene's husband and a powerful attorney. He loves the power and control he has over Charlene. He threatens her constantly and never has any remorse. The author did a great job of showing Dale as an abuser and how weak he is when he is not in control. Will he be able to continue to hurt Charlene?

An unexplained occurrence happens one day when Dale decides to leave Charlene in an abandoned house that was in his family. When they get there Charlene realizes she is going to be left there with nothing. The house is in shambles and there is no food or furniture. In her despair she calls out to God to help her. God was right there with her as she found herself going back in time to 1903. The description of the house was so remarkable I actually felt like I was standing in the kitchen looking at the old stove. I could hear the crackle of the wood as it heated the room. The heat spread across the rooms with warmth and coziness. I have read several time travel books, but this is one of the best I have ever read. The author seamlessly went from 2013 to 1903 with such detail I wanted to stay and live in 1903.

The story picks up with her introduction to the people in the house. Miss Kate is someone I would love to be around. She is a hardworking woman that was gracious and loving. She made me feel like I was setting at my granddad's farmhouse watching the cows graze in the pasture as she baked rolls. The other person who is so vital to the story is Billy. He is good looking and a hard working rancher. The rest of the story you need to read on your own. I don't want to spoil any part of the eloquent story that I couldn't stop reading. After finishing the book I sat for a moment and thought about what I just read. Charlene trusted God to help her and knew that she was loved by Him. He knew when she was hurting and surrounded her with His grace.

It is a powerful story that shows readers that God is always there and He loves you unconditionally. When Charlene was at her lowest and cried out she found out that "God was hope."

I received this book from Book Fun.org and the option to leave my honest opinion of it was up to me. ( )
  Harley0326 | Nov 10, 2016 |
IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS by HEATHER BLANTON
Loved the summary of this book and the beautiful cover pictured.
Story starts out with Charlene and she's married to a businessman, Dale. He's beat her ever since they got married. She ran back to her family and when he came to get her he told her he'd beat his family if she ever ran away again.
She's endured two years with him now and has had it-she wants to go home for Christmas. He takes her-gives him time to spend with his lady friend, but he abandons her with no food, clothing or water. He brought her to the Page ranch-his family's ild dilapidated place.
As he leaves he hits her and she falls, hits her head. When she comes to she's at the ranch but 100 years earlier. Love hearing how the grandson, Billy tends to the ranch with others and his grandmother Miss Kate. She fits right in helping them all out and she prays Dale never finds her...
Story goes to the future and he had forgotten to get her a few days after he dropped her off-it's been over a week now.... Miss Kate had also been in the same circumstance so she told Charlene she could stay as long as she needed to. Bily takes a shine to her also..
Love the detailed descriptions of the ranch itself, buildings and how they even tend to the garden. Had to look up a few words to find out what they meant as I had never head them-priceless! - love a book that teaches me things.
She opens up to their questions and answers them truthfully. Life and death matters and miracles are explained in the Bible!
Charlene's not seen her parents in years and she knows what she has to do to end the suffering...other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | Nov 9, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,353,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible