The Royals: Masters of War by Rob Williams

The Royals: Masters of War

by Rob Williams

Other authors: Simon Coleby (Illustrator)

That was definitely different. In this Graphic Novel’s world those with Royal blood also have super powers.

We start the book learning about the House of Windsor. The King and his sons Henry and Arthur, and his daughter Rose. All three of the children have powers and we’re told the King is rare amongst Royals of this world in that he is powerless. The King has also forbidden all his children from getting involved in World War Two, which Britain is knee deep in.

Of course, this means that a couple of the kids, Rose and Henry, do get involved. Henry reveals himself at the Battle of Britain and saves the day a bit. Soon after Churchill gets involved, and a regular Army guy named Travers, and there is a British/US (though since the US has no full royals of our own their powers aren’t quite-- well-- anything powerful-ish) super hero team. And then Japan’s Royals join in the war, and we also get to meet some German Royals and a Russian one as well.

Honestly I wasn’t liking the book too much until the end. I was actually surprised by the ending, and that sorta saved the book for me. It was an okay Graphic Novel, and an interesting idea, but I didn’t think it was too super special.

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 16, 2014 |
An intriguing and page-turning alternate history of WWII that takes on the premise of Royalty having superpowers. The House of Windsor has been secretly convincing the nation that the King, born without powers had sired children who also lack any of their own powers. Here is the deception. All the royalty throughout the world has been in hiding since the events of the French Revolution, and then the mass murder of the Russian royal family. So the royalty is sitting idly by during WWII until Prince Henry of England, young and idealistic, can sit by no longer, gets involved and all hell breaks loose. Then comes a fantastic retelling of WWII, with the presence of the allied leaders: Churchill, Roosevelt and Eisenhower mostly. The royals have superpowers such as strength, flying, laserbeam eyes, mind control and so on. It was a rush for me to read this and the ending was a big surprise, a double shock, and very satisfying. Once finished one can see that the author and illustrator have made some thoughtful commentary on war in general. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 14, 2014 |

Williams, RobAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coleby, SimonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"The year is 1940. As the Blitz destroys London and kills thousands, the Royal Family looks on. But in this world, the only people with special abilities are Royalty, and the purer the bloodline, the greater their abilities. So why don't they stop the carnage with their powers? A truce between the Earth's nobles has kept them out of our wars--until now. When England's Prince Henry can take no more and intervenes, will it stop the planet's suffering or take it to another level? Writer Rob Williams (Judge Dredd: Trifecta, Low Life, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and Daken) and artist Simon Coleby (The Authority, Judge Dredd: Year One and Trifecta) team up to bring you this epic of World War proportions. History will be transformed in a way you've never seen before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible