The Magic Mirror (The Curious Collectibles,…

The Magic Mirror (The Curious Collectibles, #2)

by Lana Hart

The Magic Mirror (The Curious Collectibles Series) by Lana Hart presents the reader with an artist’s palette filled with a dark shadowy figure, strange occurrences, memories of first love, suspense, and a town oblivious to it all.

"It cast a glance in the direction of a small, yet hulking shadow perched atop a shelf inside its work room. Calamity, the dark figure called it, and had for some time now. It was a fitting name, for that was all the little beast had caused since it crawled out of the corrupted arcanum that had created it, all ichor and chaos. It was a creature composed of the darkest magic, and soon it would be unleashed upon the world to do what it did best.

More accurately, it would be unleashed upon Sanctum Harbor. More specifically, it would determine whether a certain someone was the sort of special being the dark figure suspected it was.

If it was right, then the time of its ascension was close at hand. Its Dark Orchard would be restored and all the waiting and planning would finally pay off."

Hart, Lana (2014-06-09). The Magic Mirror (The Curious Collectibles Series) (Kindle Locations 26-31). Wyrmwood Publishing & Editing. Kindle Edition.

The novella introduces us to Jack Snow, Mrs. Clathermont and her Curious Collectibles shop, Jack’s mother, and a few residents of Sanctum Harbor. The story focuses on Jack Snow, coming back home to Sanctum Harbor and the strange happenings he encounters. we find that things are not all what they appear to be on the surface.

I enjoyed the author’s prose, she can be extremely descriptive, her words setting the mood, or conveying feelings.

"As dusk took its place upon its starry throne, it cast long shadows where none had been before. His mother’s house seemed more sinister now ; each darkened window was an empty eye sunken deep into its façade, glaring at him as he ambled along the path toward the front door. He couldn’t see a light on anywhere, even though the curtains were still pulled aside. Darkness held dominion over all."

Hart, Lana (2014-06-09). The Magic Mirror (The Curious Collectibles Series) (Kindle Locations 532-535). Wyrmwood Publishing & Editing. Kindle Edition.

This is the 2nd book I've read by the author, and having read the books out of order, I feel, reading the Magic Mirror first gives more of Jack’s backstory, so when we meet him in The Haunted Lingerie (The Curious Collectibles #1) we have more of an understanding of his personality, and Misty’s impact on his life.

The novella is short, but packed with good stuff, its complete; leaving no loose ends, and has no cliff hanger. The introduction to characters and paranormal happenings makes moving into the full length book more enjoyable in my opinion.

All in all for a short read it’s a 4 star read for me.
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible