This Summer by Katlyn Duncan

This Summer

by Katlyn Duncan

322,001,085 (4)None

I won an e-book copy of this book through Week 4 of The Romance Reviews 4th Anniversary celebration, and the following is my honest opinion for the book.

Like any high school senior, Hadley before heading to college to desires to have one last thing, a summer experience like no other she’s ever experienced. She knows once the summer days have gone she’ll be in New York City, far away her family and her best friend. Hadley also knows it will be quite enjoyable, especially since she’s now out of a undesirable relationship with her ex, however her ex still desires Hadley to be his.

While working at the camp she’s worked at for so long with her father, a former boyfriend, Will Carson, who’d left her abruptly two years before, reenters her life. At the two are chosen to work together as co-counselors, and it is here their relationship gets rekindled and the discoveries of the past, the secrets Will had kept from her slowly get revealed.

The interaction between these two will at times cause you to laugh, and at times will make you almost want to cry, as the author writing makes the story to move almost continuously. I would tend, given the ages of the book’s two main characters and it’s storyline, to classify this book as a prefect New Adult Contemporary romance novel. The entire book, especially given its title, and as others have already stated, would make a wonderful book for its intended audience to read this summer.

The only thing I would change regarding the book, if I’d been the author, would be to have a more eye-catching title. Aside from this, I see no reason not to give “This Summer” the 5 STARS I’m giving it. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 19, 2015 |
3.5 stars

I received a copy from Netgalley.

A lighthearted, fun summer romance. Main character Hadley has graduated from high school and is looking forward to her last summer before college in her home town set to have some no regrets fun with her best friend Lily. They have jobs at the local summer camp and all looks to be going swimmingly....until Hadley's former next door neighbour and best friend (epic crush) Will turns up unexpectedly.

Its a a roller coaster of summer time fun and will they wont they get together with other drama thrown in. A fast enjoyable read with not much to read into the plot, it's told in first person from Will and Hadley's POVs as they work together and figure out their feelings. Drama from ex boyfriends and girlfriends showing up. Will left suddenly and is hiding the reason why. Hadley can't decide what do with her feelings for Will.

It did get a little repetitive on the whole will they won't they theme but it was a good story, with mostly likeable characters. The best friend is kind of flakey and makes an ass of herself towards the end in a way I didn't like much, but the way the story builds....it's actually kind of understandable. Still don't like what she did though.

Believable characters, and also I enjoyied the summer camp setting because the kids actually weren't annoying brats. They seemed like a good bunch of well behaved kids. And the counsellors did a great job.

Nicely written, decent story which I wrapped up with a definite ending, everything fit together a little too well for my tastes, but it was I suppose nice to see everything concluded properly with no loose ends.

A very enjoyable read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Carina UK for approving my request to view the title.

also so crosses off a square for my summer bingo card - set during Summer ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible