The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich

The Dead House

by Dawn Kurtagich

2202952,892 (3.69)11
    The drowning girl : a memoir by Caitlin R. Kiernan (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: These are both horror novels featuring point of view characters with major mental illnesses that are handled with respect and treated as real, entirely separate from any supernatural influences which may also exist.

Review was first published on Realm of the Sapphired Dragon on 17th July 2016

I could not put this book down! I picked it up yesterday afternoon asI had been meaning to read it for a while and decided to try and squeeze it before my next couple of review reads and I had finished before just after midnight.

I found it had the right balance of Creepiness and Mystery with out being over the top and I found it not only easy to read but found myself compelled to keep reading pulled into the mystery and needing to see exactly what happened and how it would all play out.

I loved the way it presented in the style of official documents,diary entries, video excerpt and police interviews as testimony for a trial. The book itself is set in the future and they are looking at a incident (called the Johnson incident) which occurred in 2005 involving parts of a boarding school being burned down, the death of three people and the serious injury of another. It gave you the feeling you were interpreting the evidence right along side the jury and to see how your conclusions married up with those at the end.

This novel is part creepy, part mystery part psychological thriller and through the whole experience you are constantly needing to make up your mind whether are events are happening as described and seen or the ravings of a seriously disturbed young girl. An the end ending , regardless of the conclusions you have previously drawn leaves you with questions anew that you may just find your self thinking about at 3 am in the morning..

If you love a good compelling spooky read that hook you in from beginning to end and then leave you breathless, then I definitely recommend the Dead House.

I give it 4 1/2 stars!

Sapphired Dragon xx ( )
  SapphiredDragon | Nov 21, 2017 |
By far one of the best books I. Have. Ever. Read.
The writing style is fantastic! It's such an eerie read and gives off a suspenseful vibe to the reader.
The plot and characters were so interesting that I couldn't put the book down!
I loved the designs on the pages too, and the change of diary entries and fonts.
"The Dead House" has definitely become one of my favourite novels! ( )
  Meliths | Nov 13, 2017 |
WTF.
No. Seriously. What the f*ck was that?

Once I started this book, I couldn't - wouldn't put it down. It's kept me sucked in and was so d*mn compelling that I NEEDED to know what was the cause of all of this. Was She crazy? Who did it? Was it paranormal? What is real? What is fake? So many questions. Thought many answers would soon be answered.

Until...

The ending. Not only was there absolutely no answers. It was the most anticlimactic thing I have ever laid my eyes upon. Like soggy d*mn Wheaties cereal or something.

This whole book is lies! LIES I TELL YOU!!!

It builds and sucks you in and keeps you were... like the freaking dead house and then the end happens and you are left wondering what in the hell your suppose to do with it. I have no WORDS for what I feel about that, honestly. I think facial features covers that, pretty much.

So because of the ending, it will be 3 stars instead of 5.

I would like to ADD that this book was awesome, the ONLY thing I didn't like was the ending. I thought it could have ended better or at least there would be a book 2 or something. That's just my thoughts on it. I hate cliffhangers. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Oct 26, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
Review from Tenacious Reader

was quite intrigued by the description of this book, but when I heard the audiobook clip, I pushed it to the must read (listen) list. The narration in this book is more of a production than just simply reading. Don’t get me wrong, it is not overdone, but there is mood music in places, sound effects in the background whenever we are listening to a recorded session, little details added. Also, this a book with a good amount of emotion and panic, so the narrator had to crank it up to really get that level of turmoil and desperation across. Despite hearing this was a very visual book, I absolutely don’t feel I missed anything with the audio version, actually, this is one of those cases where I think the performance probably heightened my experience with the story.

The Dead House is a haunting and desperate tale of two girls residing in a single body. Carly Johnson comes out during the day, Kaitlyn Johnson comes alive at night. The girls are both different and almost defined by the time of day they are in control. Carly is nice and sweet and everything made of light. Kaitlyn is impulsive and daring, living in the dark.

It is a fascinating relationship and situation. Kaitlyn feels as if she is borrowing Carly’s body, as if Carly were the true person and she is the one who lives in the shadows, the secret person who has to be cautious about being discovered. Carly (and Kaitlyn) have been diagnosed as having Dissociative Identity Disorder, but their presentation is unusual, with just two personalities and that when they appear is related to time of day rather than some other events. The fact the changeover from one personality to another is so predictable is incredibly unusual. So, the reader has to wonder, is there something else at play here? Is there another explanation for these two souls confined to just one body?

I hate to get into the story too much, but lets just say there are plenty of freaky, creepy and eerie moments. Things you are not quite sure are real or imagined. Things you would never want to face in the light of day, much less in the dark of night. There was a little bit of predictability in it, but I didn’t feel like it lessened my experience too much.

This story is told through a series of journal entries, as well as video transcriptions, interview excerpts and other miscellaneous materials that could be used to piece together the events as they unfolded, things to help investigate what really happened the night of the fire that took three lives, injured many more. A fire that left Carly Johnson’s whereabouts unknown. Her body was not discovered among the dead and she has not been seen since. Investigators want to know what happened to Carly and if this disturbed young woman may have been responsible for the tragedy, but how much can you trust journal entries made by a young woman who is clearly disturbed on some level?

I love stories that make you wonder there is something supernatural occurring or the story is the result of mental illness. This is one of those stories, you hear one story from the doctors, but you get another story from the characters. Is it possible there is some type of witch craft involved? possession? or possibly something else entirely? Regardless of what it turns out to be, the story is captivating and haunting and you will want to find out.

tenaciousreader | Aug 8, 2017 |

Dawn Kurtagichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coulson, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parry, CharlotteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Told through journal entries, a psychotherapist's notes, court records, and more, relates the tale of Carly, a teen who was institutionalized after her parents' death but released to Elmbrige High School, where she is believed to have a second personality or soul named Kaitlyn, and/or be possessed by a demon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible