Hard to Hold on To [novella] by Laura Kaye

Hard to Hold on To [novella]

by Laura Kaye

It was easy transitioning into Easy Cantrall’s story. No matter the time between these books I never have any problem remembering the over arching story line or the characters. This series is about 5 surviving soldiers of a mission gone wrong who were dishonorable discharged after being set up.

Being inside Easy head was hard as he was struggling with suicidal thoughts over losing his best friend in that mission, not being able to help his other friends that were hurt in that ambush and then losing his right to be a soldier all in the blink of an eye. Each of the 5 survivors handled what happened to them differently but Easy is having the hardest time finding a reason to go on. That is until he meets Jenna Dean.

This story picks up immediately where the 2nd book ended, with the team coming back from rescuing Jenna from the men who had kidnapped, drugged and abused her. Easy was the one who carried her out and a bond seemed to form between them as he became the only person to calm her when flashbacks of what happened during her ordeal kept creeping up. These two were both struggling with childhood and adult issues and when they were together the pain didn’t seem as bad.

As this was a novella not a lot of progress was made on the over arching story line but it was great to find out about another man on the team and to see him start to heal from the hell he’d been living in both in real life and in his head. Years ago these were a band of brothers and now they are back together again strengthening that bond and along the way finding the women that are just as strong to join them on their journey to finding answers and their happily ever after.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
This book is by far my favorite of the lot, but that might be because Easy is my favorite character.
Just remember that is book is a novella, not a full length book, but to tell you the truth, I don't feel like you missed anything and I really do think that this is a very important part of the Hard Ink Series and if Ms. Kaye had included it in a part of a book, it would have lost the power message it is trying to highlight.
From the moment Easy carried Sara in to the compound, he is drawn to her. Also the moment that Sara regains consciousness, Sara needs and wants Easy. They both are struggling and they find solace in each other. I am really restricted by what I can tell you about this story, as I don't wish to give away any spoilers.
Love, love, love this story! It completely drew me in, it at parts it felt like I couldn't breathe. The writing is smooth and the issues Ms. Kaye raises in this story are clearly well researched and I give her kudos for that.
That being said, I will give this book a 10 out of 10, because this book really is a gem.
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.00

First Thought when Finished: Hard to Hold on To by Laura Kaye is my favorite in the series so far! VERY EMOTIONAL!

Quick Thoughts: Emotionally this novella packed a punch. There are some pretty deep and real things dealt with here: PTSD and Suicide. I wish this had been a bit longer (that was my only complaint). I also loved that Easy and Jenna are taking their connection seriously and...

[slow! Seriously no in the moment "I Love You". They acknowledge their connection and decide to pursue their relationship. (hide spoiler)]

I highly recommend this!

Library Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 22, 2015 |
Jenna and Easy

This novella takes up minutes after "Hard as you Can." Way too short; I wanted more of Jenna and Easy. Hope to read more of their relationship in future Hard Ink books.

This book had a character dealing with Military PTSD and depression. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Don't skip this Novella!

I nearly skipped this Novella and what a mistake that would of been! From the gorgeous cover to the highly emotional and truly important story within, it was all-around fantastic. The only thing that would of made it better was if it was longer! I didn't want it to end.
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |

Edward "Easy" Cantrell knows better than most the pain of not being able to save those he loves--which is why he is not going to let Jenna Dean out of his sight. He may have just met her, but Jenna's the first person to make him feel alive since that devastating day in the desert more than a year ago.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible